• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown 6.2 any suggestions

Krausk

Hello all I was driving my 88 yesterday like normal. Low speed all was well all of a sudden really loud howling/roaring. I'm sure it's terminal disconnected all belts and bottom end is where it's coming from. Anyway looking for suggestions. Maybe a gas 454 don't really care about originality to be honest. It's not important to me. All suggestions welcome but I don't want to make a trip to Wilmington and pay 1500 for another 6.2 grenade. Thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just the flexplate.

tage

Saw one on eBay with a 454. They cut the dog house, and ran a fuel tank in the bed. Sold for 15k if I remember.

I personally wouldn't go that route. Maybe a 4.8/5.3/6.0 compete with trans /transfer case. That is if I was gonna go to gas.

Bravojmc

Hello all I was driving my 88 yesterday like normal. Low speed all was well all of a sudden really loud howling/roaring. I'm sure it's terminal disconnected all belts and bottom end is where it's coming from. Anyway looking for suggestions. Maybe a gas 454 don't really care about originality to be honest. It's not important to me. All suggestions welcome but I don't want to make a trip to Wilmington and pay 1500 for another 6.2 grenade. Thanks in advance.
If you want reliable and last forever and don't care if it's originality then run a 5.9 CUMMINS!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Wow throwing in the towel already. What makes you think that it is terminal? I would think that if the 6.2 is running that it may be something like what has been said by doghead, loose flywheel, torque converter bolts. Always blue Loctite, always. Harmonic balancer?
Pull dipstick, look at oil in sunlight and look for glitter, metal. If metal is in oil, looks like a major is in your future. Timing chain, maybe but unlikely if running. Good luck, think positive, keep the 6.2 alive.

Krausk

Guys thanks for all of the help. I'm getting ready to check flywheel. It's not my fan I know what sounds like this is a fan noise x 1000. However the noise is at the bottom of engine. Crank pulley is fine. It is incredibly loud but my video doesn't convey the roar? I'm gonna pull inspection plate but looks like that will take a while. I'll let you know about flywheel. Does a torque converter die loudly? I don't know much about transmissions but I do know a lot about engines

Action

If you need a 6.2, call local junkyards. I found one for a few hundred bucks. You just have to swsp everything from one to the other.

Krausk

Did some research and talked to a tranny guy. He thinks pump is going out and yes they can whine like that. Looks like tranny swap required. Gonna verify by removing torque converter bolts when time permits.

Krausk

Ok good news bad news. It's the tranny pump. Next question is would you replace entire tranny or just replace the pump. Tranny shifts fine and fluid looks good. Dropped the pan to verify and search for metals. Only thing is will civilian tranny have to be modified for the no "P" position? I'm assuming can just take from my old trans the required parts? Anyone know for sure what to do here? I appreciate the help greatly. I'm no trans guy.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd pull the transmission and take it to a good shop for a bench job. Not looking at a lot of money. Take out transmissions are too big of an unknown.

Awol

I'd pull the transmission and take it to a good shop for a bench job. Not looking at a lot of money. Take out transmissions are too big of an unknown.
Idk, I've had trans shops try and charge me $1400 for a stock rebuild on a TH350. You'd think they're replacing the internals with gold bars.

jeffy777

Ok good news bad news. It's the tranny pump. Next question is would you replace entire tranny or just replace the pump. Tranny shifts fine and fluid looks good. Dropped the pan to verify and search for metals. Only thing is will civilian tranny have to be modified for the no "P" position? I'm assuming can just take from my old trans the required parts? Anyone know for sure what to do here? I appreciate the help greatly. I'm no trans guy.
I am not a moderator nor do I play one on TV.:p:p:p:p

In today's PC world(auaaua), I think it is important to say you are not an automatic transmission repair person. Unless you were meaning you are no trans guy. I am not a trans either. But it makes your good news / bad news have a new meaning. ;););)

Jeffy

Disclaimer: This post was just for fun. No meaning or political bias should be read out it. I meant no harm. Just fun when things can get twisted when reading from a warped perspective. Please have a great day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks