• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown Head Gasket M1083 with Cat C7

acropilot

Just finished a 3000 mile trip along the continental divide with 7 other trucks (Unimogs, 1079, and X-Camper). The truck performed flawlessly. I was on the last leg of my trip on my way back home. Had decided to stop in St. George Utah for the night. I was at the gas station for refueling ops and noticed fluid coming out of the radiator's overflow reservoir. Upon further inspection, I realized the Glycol has a high level of oil content. It must have just happened. The oil pressure in the engine was still normal along with the Water Temperature. Assuming a blown head gasket!

After much thought and phone calls later Saturday afternoon, I found the shop South West Diesel in St. George which is an authorized Cat and Cummins Service Center. They were nice enough to open the gate to their shop (only a mile away from my location). I made sure there was plenty of oil in the truck and limped along to their shop. Since the oil pressure is higher than the radiator pressure, the flow of oil was from engines to the radiator which is a good thing. I am hoping that it is just an R&R for the head gasket and no other damage has taken place.

Couple of questions:

1. Any body has had experience with this shop?
2. What is the protocol for towing this truck? Do you need to disconnect all drive shafts if you need to tow.

Thank you.

acropilot

I am suppose to go and fetch the truck this Friday. The bracket holding the oil cooler had come loose and had broken the weld. I'll have some picture for you all as soon as i get to the truck.

Thanks,

Tony

HankColorado

Hello Tony. I am considering buying an M1083. Can you tell me what to expect in terms of maintainance? What questions should I ask the seller prior to purchase?
Thanks.

Hank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks