• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blown injectior

briman

:lost::evil: I just bought a 71m35a2 from government liquidation. Picked it up on friday and got half way home and a injectior blew out. Thought i fixed the problem because the truck started right up. Then it died a half a mile later. Cant seem to get it started agian. Does any one have any suggestions?

Westech

CPL
well you replaced the injector? you could have Air in the fuel system. Turn on the power to the engine, open the bleeder valve on the top of the fuel filter housing on the Driver side of the engine. Bleed out the air and try again. Also make sure the in-tank pump is working when you turn on the power. You should be able to hear it "buzzing".
Another thing to check is the fuel filters. IF they are nasty the engine will NOT run. (they are 3 of them) Good luck and read up on the TM's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

briman

It was the retaining ring. One bolt broke and the other must have worked its way out. So replaced the bolts. The truck ran great for the first 180 miles. After that well i have a new toy that needs to be fixed

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with the simple. Does the tank have plenty of fuel. Did you drain the the three filters to check for water. You only changed a injector so no air would be in system and that injector will bleed off what little air it picked up.
The intank pump could be checked but it was running for a while so I don't think that is the problem. The correct way to check the pump in the fuel tank is with a gage and it must be 5-7 lb. Just for on side road rapair as long as it has some pressure at the bleed valve on the twin filter block that is fine.
Now for off the wall . If you find the end of the shut down cable and take off that cover and make shure that the fuel control arm is still connected and operating by pushing it one way and it should return to the outher.( I have half timers so I forget which it springs to without a truck in front of me.)
Outher than a IP head plunger failer then she should run and I'm done. Good luck.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious, did the injector literally blow out of the engine?

I'm new to the deuce but agree change a fuel filters and check the tank for sludge.
It can't blow out of the engine, there is a hard fuel line connected to it. It can just pop up a bit. There is a sealing washer at the injector body to cylinder head area. If carbon got in that space when the injector loosened up and it was tightened back up, there would be space for compression to escape. Is that what the issue is now? Lotsa air and smoke coming around the injector body?

Last edited:

briman

Yes the injector blew out both bolts holding the injector in were gone. I checked the fuel filters and fuel pressure. They are both good. Still doesnt want to start.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the fuel shut off lever pushed all the way in? If you follow the shut off cable you will see it goes into the pump at a cover that is held onwith two screws. Take that cover off and stick your finger in there and physically push the shut off toward the front of the engine. Sometimes they stick. OR, sometimes when a Bosch type injector fails, it lets compression into the system through the nozzle. If when you replaced the broken/missing bolts you didn't tighten them evenly..IIRC they only torque to around 20 ft lbs... it could put the nozzle in a bind causing the pintle to stick open. This will let compression back up through the nozzle 'cause the pintle is now un seated. Try loosening the injector hold down and re tightening it evenly

Capt.Marion

I'd check back through several pages in this section of the board to see if there are any helpful tips in other "Deuce Won't Start"-type threads...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks