• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown NHC 250 engine

WPNS421

I just inherited a 1986 M816 wrecker with a bad engine. The previous owner was at a show and the truck started smoking, on the way home the engine developped a loud knocking sound, but it still ran so he drove it home (30 miles).
Long story short I ended up with the truck, I towed to the mechanic and he told me the the valve cam bushings were shot probably due to no oil going to the head. The previous owner had the truck for at least 4-5 years and had never done an oil change so either the oil pump packed it in or one of the oil ports is blocked. I am good at the little things like oil changes greasing or replacing small parts but this type of repair is beyond my capabilities.
The engine still starts and runs with the loud clanking noise, now I have to find a new engine because I was given a rough estimate of approx $5K to fix this one. The M816 is a really nice unit and deserves a new engine, the prices I have seen are all over the map. Now I have to find a good drop in engine, can someone recommend a good supplier in the upper NY, NJ area. Thanks for the help
Also, I now have 2 M816 wreckers, what are the chances that you will find 2 M816 wreckers in a 10 mile radius?

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be cheaper to find a runner and part it after you pull what you need. None of the 939s coming out need EUC so border jumping should be easier. There are certainly units out there that are being parted so you should do well either way. Good luck!

ichudov

You can buy a running ugly truck for $3k from GL, get the engine, and scrap the rest and get appx. 2k back. You can make more if you part it put more effectively.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a 2003 6cta motor with or without trans. You could do an upgrade to a turbo motor.
I have protective custody of an M36 with the 8.3 in it. Unless you turn the fuel to it that wrecker will not get out of it's own way. At 36,000 pounds it is slow. Add the towed weight of an deuce or larger vehicle and you have a toad in the road. I was once the proud owner of an M816 but it broke me of the wrecker habit. Your milage may vary.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks