• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blown up starter...

2HIJOS2126

So while checking my trapline on Tuesday out in the middle of no where my starter decided to *blow* up. Yes I said blow up. After stepping out and checking/resetting some traps I hopped back in and proceeded to crank her over, she usually turns right over and off we go, but to my surprise that did not occur this time. When I turned the key all we heard was an awful noise coming from the starter and then we smelled and seen smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and ran out to open it up, just as I was raising the hood I noticed a heat bubble deflating from the power cable that goes from battery to battery. I then crawled under the truck to check out the starter, I did not expect to see what I seen. There was a black round piece of metal laying in the snow right under the starter, upon further inspection I noticed it was the back of the starter. I also noticed that the nose cone had separated from the rest of the starter. I had no inclination of this failure, the truck has always started with ease...

I knew we were definitely screwed since we were a few miles away from a main road. My friend and I quickly came up with a gameplan calling friends and family to get some assistance and then started walking our happy asses out of the desert. I had my wife call around and find a 24v starter, and told her to head my way with some tools. We met up with her on the main road a couple of hours later and not so mush longer a few friends showed up to get us back to my truck. By the time we got back to my truck the sun had set and the temperature had fallen dramatically. So yeah, two hours and a dozen hand warmer packets later that PITA starter was installed and she cranked right over. Drove her home and shes been sitting in my driveway since...

I had to order the starter bracket for the gear reduction unit and I will also replace my power wiring before putting her to work again. Oh and just for the record I have done the Doghead relay mod. Im assuming that the failure was just cause the starter was 30yrs old, unless you folks on this site that have much more knowledge have any idea what else might have caused this. But it makes me feel good to just think that the starter was old, cause if I don't think that then I know for sure some other gremlins will rear their faces and my awesome trapping machine will be sidelined for the rest of the season. Ha Ha. But for real, is there something Im missing??? Could something else have caused this catastrophic event??? Thanks in advance...

2HIJOS2126

The back of the starter was blown off and the nose cone separated from the rest of the unit. The more I think about it the more I question if something just went terribly wrong that day or if this issue had slowly been creeping up on me.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it have a support braket in place?

Hasdrubal

Failure of the two bolts that hold the starter together? I've seen the longer one that attaches to the support bracket look fairly rusty around the threads just under the nut, perhaps yours were really bad. Once it came apart, some component shorted out, causing your blistered power cable.

2HIJOS2126

The starter bracket was in place and was snug the last time I checked it which was in July. If something as simple as the support bracket being loose could have caused this then I'll make sure to check it more often...
No starter bolt failure, both were intact and took quite some effort to break them loose. Once I was able to unhook the power and ground and also undid the front drive shaft the starter fell right out without having to undo the starter bracket bolt. I should have taken pictures but looking in from the back where the back plate was missing the inside was just scorched...
With the weather the way it has been around here as of late, my mean green trapping machine will be sidelined for a bit. I'll be doing the wrenching in my driveway. My 85' Silverado has taken its place...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my part selling days I have starters that the castings broke because of a backfire when starting. When the engine goes backwards something has to give and the cast nose cone was usually the weak link.

I can not recall a starter core coming in with the back end blown off in 20 years. When the bolts come off the back with the plate, there is nothing to hold the starter body to the nose except the starter drive fits into a bushing in the nose.

Only plausible thing I can think of is the 2 long bolts that go from the back plate to the front nose had to get loose and finally one (or 2) came off allowing the unit to literally disassemble. Those starters for the diesels are real torque monsters as you know to crank those critters.

2HIJOS2126

Indeed very plausible, which leads me to believe that this issue might have started some time ago. The sales associate at the parts store was also very surprised when I took my starter in. I guess I should play closer attention to this truck if I'm gonna use it as my daily driver...

2HIJOS2126

I know I stated in my opening statement that I was planning on replacing the positive wire that goes from battery to battery due to the heat bubble I seen coming from it. I was also planning on replacing any other positive wire just for piece of mind. But upon further investigation I am reminded that these positive cables are all custom lengths and end fittings.
If I were to replace all positive cables am I going to have to have them custom made or what other options do I have? Any other members on here gone through something similar and have any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

goldneagle

Use the battery terminal clamps that are used on the M35 and 5 ton trucks. You can get cables made at any welding supply places. I have done that for my custom cables on the 5 ton truck. All they have to do is crimp on the proper connectors on the end of the cables for you. You can get really good shrink tubing at local electrical supply houses. If you need further instructions feel free to PM me with a contact # and I will help you out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks