• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blue Angels grounding

Nonotagain

I'm surprised that no one has posted this, so here goes.

Blues cancel another air show | Pensacola News Journal | pnj.com

Local and national news reported that the aircraft came within 133 feet of the ground when 500 feet were the minimums allowed.

Also linked is a youtube video which shows the maneuver which caused the grounding.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXjhuo8Ene4[/media]

I was supposed to be at the Millville NJ airshow this weekend with one of the show sponsors, but decided that without the Angels, it wasn't going to be the same.

Ripcord01

They cancelled the Annapolic show as well. Grounded due some flying manuevers that were sour. Better safe than sorry.. I have met a few of them and they are a good group of guys. When I was sworn in At our Ceremony a few of them were in attendance and on the field with us. Pretty cool feeling it was..

hoop

The airport is elevated about 200' on a small plateau.
The commander must have been flying by sight only not altimeter.
Blue Angles were great....but the whole show was put together in 5 weeks. Show leaders chose "Remote parking", about 200 people were treated with heat related problems.....they even used fire water cannons to try and cool people down.
Logistical Night Mare.

flyxpl

That was scary close . You can tell by the way they broke away that the pilots were concerned about saving their butts and **** with the routine . The heat also may have affected the prformance of the aircraft making the loop on the down side a little larger than intended .

steelypip

The airport is elevated about 200' on a small plateau.
The commander must have been flying by sight only not altimeter.
Blue Angles were great....but the whole show was put together in 5 weeks. Show leaders chose "Remote parking", about 200 people were treated with heat related problems.....they even used fire water cannons to try and cool people down.
Logistical Night Mare.
^^That explains why I, all the way up (ha) in Charlottesville didn't hear about this show until the stand-down and resignation fallout. Talk about lousy publicity!

I would happily have driven down 29 to the show if I had known it existed. Oh well. Hopefully they'll do it right next year.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better a stand down and training, then following your leader into the ground like the Thunderbirds.

exbrown

Just glad that they are all OK.

I have seen them several times, and they are my favorite of the precision flying groups. They will get it together and be back wowing people soon.

I hate that they are canceling shows, but finding out what happened and fixing it is of the utmost importance.

WarrenD

As of a few days ago, their commander has been replaced with last years and they have begun training again. It is hoped that they will only miss 3 scheduled shows.

Goose2448

KLYH field is 936' MSL so they should have been no lower than 1436' MSL. The altitude they were at was getting close to round out height for landing. I know KLYH pretty well, I am a Liberty University School of Aeronautics student. The show was put on by LUSOA, and it was the first time the Blue Angles had been there since the late 80's. I am sure they will recover just fine like they have after past worse incidents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks