• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blue/white smoke

JawSaw

my 1971 amer. gen. started to blow lots of blue/white smoke, checked all fuel filters they seem o.k. checked all lines seem o.k. also . used to blow a little black smoke like normal now lots of blue /white any suggestions what the problem is my be down on a little power also please advise john

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
What fuel
What oil temperature
What coolant temperature
description of normal drive
Engine hot or cold
slobber output
Oil fill cap off inspection
valves adjusted
crankcase lubrication oil type/ last changed
last adjustments
idle RPM vs 56MPH RPM
OK you did it
Seems I can not run out of questions
What did Dr. Spock say

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do you drive it much? Does it ever get a workout(10Klbs in the bed)?

If not, throw as much weight as you can find in the bed, hook up a(HEAVY) trailer and drive it for 2-3 hours. Report back afterward.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
If not, throw as much weight as you can find in the bed, hook up a(HEAVY) trailer and drive it for 2-3 hours. Report back afterward.
Good advice. Put three yards of sand in the back and drive it around. It is a heavy duty tactical truck meant to get it done or fail trying, or another explanation ...............
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/exhaust-color.html

rustystud

Chris (gimpyrobb) is right. Blue smoke is engine oil and if you haven't driven your truck hard lately it can cause the rings and cylinder liner to take a "glaze" on them. Piston rings have a wedge gap that faces the top of the cylinder. When operating, the pressure of compression goes into the gap forcing the rings against the bore thus helping them keep the seal against the compressed air/combustion forces. If your not working the engine hard this pressure is lessened and eventually causes the glazing and then oil will start leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burned causing the blue smoke.
So take it out and run the crap out of it !

Akicita

I think that's happening to my Deuce now. Had to move her from one spot to another in the same parking area almost every day for the last week or so. Noticed more smoke than usual when I started her up yesterday. Time to take her out, let her run a little and bring everything up to operating temperature.