• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bmy 929 a2 lights

8543BOB

Good morning, i picked up my 929 a2 yesterday and it had the push button light control panel, never used one before, on my drive home the sun started to set and i pressed the service light button. No front lights, no head lights, signals, nada, all rear lights were functional. Am i missing something? Or should i be looking for a wiring or switch problem? Thanks bob

therooster2001

Does it light up yellow when touched? It should also blink blue on that button when you select an option, then you have to hit enter for it to engage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446732774.701990.jpg

Once you have it engaged, it will stay blue on that button. If it doesn't light, I'd check the ground wire first on the switch, this one needs an external wire.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446733099.344775.jpg

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a favor, and replace it with a 3 lever... And no worries of the push button switch burning up the electrical system.... Do a search, you will see..

therooster2001

Not trying to start a fight here, but I think the "down with the push button" is a bit rash. Several people have had these with no issues, even on really old stuff, even an 1951 had one installed, no issues. I have read threads stating there was an issue with some before 2005, and that the ground wire is really important (it is). I think this device is getting a bad rap. I know several people had a bad experience, I am not belittling their experience or knowledge (particularly firsthand). I have seen these and the old 3 lever on all sort of rebuilds. Both work. The HMMWV's and some of the newer equipment still use these (I'm no expert on new stuff).

If it works for you, then great, if you don't like the risk, remove it. I personally have this guy in mine and have not had an issue. I am going to check the manufacturer date to see if I have pre-2005. ANY electronics can have issues, and shorting issues. I opened one up to check it out, and it does have all sorts of rubber insulation protecting the board and components that are raised. Because this is live even with the master off, it presents more of a risk. BUT, the 3 lever is also "on" too. Its actually fun to know what to fix and what the issues are (someone even replaced the relays and IC's on a misbehaving one) so you have a better knowledge about any truck component. If you dig into the issue, you'll find a great solution or at least the cause. I know one member dug into the PCB to finally figure out what the heck is in there and he even wired new ones, and published the solution for us. We all run into issues, posting and discussing is the way we all learn a little more. I have learned leagues from everyone here, not all firsthand.

Either way, keep us advised of the situation! I am really curious if it's the switch or some wiring. Welcome to the truck and good luck stomping out the bug.

Some threads on the people's experiences.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137185-Master-Vehicle-Light-Switch-Issue

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16416-Push-button-light-switch - 7 pages!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?54584-Electronic-(push-button)-M-series-Light-Switch

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I have a push button installed it my self 2 years ago. I called the maker and spoke to them and they said nothing is wrong with them and they are still making the push button for the U.S. military.

Gunzy

Of course the manufacturer will say there is nothing wrong, GM said that for years about their ignition tumblers, but I digress.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of people with problems with the switches. Mine almost burned up my M998. It was properly grounded and installed. The switch fries internally, and sometimes that has secondary effects of frying wiring connected to it. There are more than enough people that have had problems with them on here. Im sure there are people who have not had problems yet with them. You have been alerted to the situation.

Also, the manufacturer says there is no pre 2005/post 2005 switch problem switch/no problem switch. They categorically state no problem with their switches no matter when they were manufactured.

Last edited:

74M35A2

"Down with the push button", that was a cool response, and I get it. But, this thread is yet another one for the list of "my lights don't work" from an OP. I'm not experienced enough to even know or have spent the time to figure out all the settings yet, I really only know how to turn them on and off for night driving only, so I am definitely not an expert on them.

8543BOB

I was able to get a little work done on my 929: The electronic light panel appears to be working fine. I press the service light button and it blinks. I press the enter button and it stops blinking; all the light work except the front lights. The side markler lights go on the tail lights, stop lights and turn signal lights function as they should. I checked the pinn connector under the hood. Unscrewed it and wd it and re connected it. Same no front lights. I did not have my multi meter with me so i dont know if i got juice to the connector. Todays another day
bob

8543BOB

Good morning, i checked voltage all the way to the head light buckets, got good volts there, pulled the head lights ck voltage at the head light plug, good volts. Whats the chances of both head lighs failing at the same time?? Or maybe some one switched them out?? Dont know, but i think i have gotten the problem solved. Wheres the best place to buy the required headlights?
Thanks
bob