• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bob or Not To Bob

hummerjohn

I bought a M932A2 to bob out. I will not have time to do it for a few weeks but I have taken it out for the last few weekends and messed around with it in some sand, mud, and some washed out hill climbs. Here is the problem it performs flawless. The articulation of the 6x6 is unbelievable Here is the question for the guys that have bobbed your trucks and use them for off road do you ever wish you left it a 6x6. I am not talking about saving a good truck and not cutting it up but I am talking about performance off road. Second question is do all M931A2/M932A2 have lockers.
Once again I do not want to start the same old back and forth about saving a truck.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were going to bob an m939 series truck, I would use an m923/925, and leave it a little long like the truck in the picture. These trucks don't look right when they're cut short...

Oh and 6 wheels are better than 4!

Attachments

Bolkbich

Bobbed trucks dont flex much. 6x6 trucks do MUCH better at keeping all the tires planted. A 6x6 will out climb out mud a bobber everytime. The 931/932's do much better off road with a little weight on them. My 932 with a short cargo bed really made an improvement. Like cougar said Marine and Navy trucks are likely to have lockers in the rear 2 axles. They usually have a warning plate on the drivers door. They make a huge difference off road and they are fairly easy to install. Driving them on the road aint so great , they tend to bind up alot. On a 3-5000 lb truck its not to bad, but a 25000lb truck it can be pretty nasty ,you can see and feel the black rubber streaks on the road.

hummerjohn

The truck does not have any tags saying it has lockers but when I was driving on black top I could feel a little bind up but I thought it was the norm for a tandem not having a power divider but when I got it off road all rear tires are locked pulling with no wheel spin. I got it home and lifted the back off the ground at it has lockers for sure. I would like to see pics of your truck with the cargo bed

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't bob. Whenever I'm offroading with other MV owners, it always seems to be the bobbed trucks that end up getting stuck. Don't join the "short bus" community. Keep her un-neutered and 3-axles long.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have bobbed a lot of trucks,The last one was a 923a2,when it was done it didnt handle as well as it did when it was stock.I am working on a 932a2 that I replaced the fifth wheel and spare tire rack with a 12' flat bed ,it is turning out good.I would leave it alone.

walkerhunter

Love my bobber it does fair off road but a 6x6 on 395s is hard to stop! depends on how hardcore you want it. My truck is easy to drive on and off road. It goes were I want it to and so its perfect to me if I wanted to climb mountains I would build a tube buggy.

L1A1

If I were going to bob an m939 series truck, I would use an m923/925, and leave it a little long like the truck in the picture. These trucks don't look right when they're cut short...

Oh and 6 wheels are better than 4!
I'm normally not a fan of the bobbers but I must say that this one does look good. Almost factory

Matt

3dAngus

You just gotta decide for yourself, and do what you gotta do.

Much consideration, in your case, should go to your intended useage.

I bobbed my third one, because I think they're cool and reveal the diversity of what can really be done with these trucks. If I wanted something closer to a rock crawler, I would super single out three axles. Not a whole lot of rock south of the Georgia Fall line, but if there was, I would just buy another deuce or 5 ton and leave it native or super singled.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bobbed a lot of trucks,The last one was a 923a2,when it was done it didnt handle as well as it did when it was stock.I am working on a 932a2 that I replaced the fifth wheel and spare tire rack with a 12' flat bed ,it is turning out good.I would leave it alone.

I think this truck looks great.

Attachments

D'cheat

If you plan on a bunch of street driving or light trail use, I say what the heck. Go ahead and convert it to a 4x4. Its more of a "it looks good" sort of situation. The down side to this conversion is it moves the trucks center of gravity Way forward and you loose the advantage of having all the extra traction in the rear. Not to mention, the truck will be Extremely nose heavy. The dual rear axles not only adds proper suspension articulation, but the added weight also helps to offset the lump of iron between the front fenders. A bobbed rig looks darn good! Ill admit that all day long. Its the biggest pickup on the road :D But ill take a 6x6 over a bobber any day of the week in terms of towing ability and general off road ability.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge, the UMSC did not use any A2s. I have checked with guys in the Marines and they told me they went right from the M809 series and M939A0/M939A1 series to the MTVR. I don't have any documentable proof of this so someone else may be able to provide additional detail about this. With that said, I don't believe the Army installed lockers in their M939A0/A1/A2 trucks. I would almost guarantee that your truck does NOT have lockers. I have NEVER seen an A2 with them.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck in the picture IS a factory 4x4.
I have contact with the guy who bought out BMY. I have seen that flier in hardcopy format. He told me that the truck in the ad you posted was a prototype that they tried to pitch to the Army, but they never bought them. I suppose they could have procured a prototype. BMY could have marketed it to civilians, but I am not sure they did based upon what my contact (referenced above) told me. So, the pictured truck is "factory," but the best I can determine is that it never went into production.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what if.........

Not going to get into the neuter or not to neuter argument, (oops, maybe I just did :D) but...

IF you want a big 4x4 to perform like a 6x6 off road AND have the technical fortitude and opportunity, you would have to (ballast the rear and) articulate the front and rear behind the cab - not for steering but for axle articulation/twist. Common sence would dictate stops and dampers and caution when reaching limits. Then when on the road - maybe a neutral position lock. However you would likely never get your money back...

This it probably dream fodder but that's me - living vicariously through the 'if I had unlimited time and money'....... etc.

Simpler still - bob one and buy a second to keep stock!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks