• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed 5-ton Disc Wheel Brake Mod

This may have been discussed here before, but I was unable to find the answers I need. If so I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right thread. The project- bobbed m800 5-ton powered by an 8v71n two Stroke Detroit, Spicer 6453 five speed, Rockwell t-1138 transfer case, and rolling on 16.00r20 tires. My question pertains to the disc wheel brake conversion that Gearhart Enginering offers. I'm trying to make this truck as light and nimble as possible, and I'm sure a conversion like this could save hundreds of pounds of un-sprung weight. I'm wondering if any of the members here have had any experience with this conversion in a bobbed 5-ton. The rotors in this conversion are 15 inch which would fit in the 20 inch combat wheels that I plan on using, but I'm wondering if that would be enough brake to stop a 17 to 18 thousand pound truck with any kind of efficiency. I also plan on ditching the air system in favor of a Hydro-Max brake system. I refer to the experts. Your thoughts, ideas, and advice would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
I was looking for something a little more heavy duty than that. I am currently reading up on air disc brakes from Meritor and SAF Holland. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. Just trying to figure out if I can fit one of these units inside a 20 inch combat wheel.

I have read that Russ is real nice to deal with. I wonder if he would be willing to fab up a custom air disc brake system if I was able to come up with all the right parts.

74M35A2

Thought I read somewhere that the 5T disc conversion kits are really just for mud boggers and the like, in that they don't have strength to stop a loaded truck, multiple times, in traffic, downhill, etc....?

I could understand not wanting to use pinion brakes on the street as they could cause the truck to pull away from center. However concerning wheel brakes I think they refer to those kits as "off road use only" just for liability reasons. If they're using F650 calipers and rotors then they should be able to stop quit a bit of weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks