• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed and lifted deuce

smw2402

ok guys ive been reading and learning and finally got my own bobbed deuce project going. it started as a clean winch truck i purchased from gl and picked up at fort jackson sc. i drove it home to charleston (100 miles) w/ no problems. i think i did pretty good as it has a new engine, all new tires, and few other new parts. i made my own lift out of 4x8 inch rectangle tubing. it has 52" goodyears mounted on stazworks beadlock wheels. i made my own power steering using a 5 ton pump and a steering gearbox from a mid 80s international. i just got it on the road and still have a long list of things to do. let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

50shooter

I like it. The cut down bed looks good. Not sure if I'm going w/ the 105 or a cut bed. You must not have a bumper height law in SC.

Well done.

rat4spd

I'm curious, as I'm no expert on these kinds of suspensions, or any suspension for that matter, but are your lift blocks just welded to the bottom of the frame?

If so, it would seem to lack the lateral stability that being bolted to the side of the frame would give. I can't really see from the pics on this small computer.

DeuceNewb

need more info on the power steering! and maybe some more close up pics of how you attained the lift. I would love to come out like this when i bob mine

jesusgatos

I'm curious, as I'm no expert on these kinds of suspensions, or any suspension for that matter, but are your lift blocks just welded to the bottom of the frame?

If so, it would seem to lack the lateral stability that being bolted to the side of the frame would give. I can't really see from the pics on this small computer.
I think that would be kinda sketchy too, but in picture number six you can see that the front spring hangers are tied together. Guessing there's a similar crossmember in the rear.

smw2402

thanks guys i really appreciate all of the positive comments. i got the tires from a local guy who had them laying around for a project but needed the money. the lift is just 4x8" rectangle welded to the frame. at the front i made a skidplate to tie it all together out of 1/2" plate. at the rear i built crossmembers at each of the blocks for added strength. it steers great i can turn lock to lock with one finger. i got the idea from m-35 toms post http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/14444-hyd-power-steering-info.html i know for a fact the pittman arm and drag link dont clear the stock tires and wheels on my set up but by tweaking the pittman arm and possibly the draglink it could easily be done. ill get some more pics of the steering though and post them up tomorrow.

smw2402

ha no kidding!! i used a torch to wash the heads off then blew a little out the center and then and air hammer to knock them out. it was by all means the hardest part of the whole project.

sweetk30

yep reg truck rivits on 1/2 ton - 1ton i use oxy/act and melt the head off. then glow the rest hot and air hammer pops them out like hot candy . easy to do.

i just havent done duece rivits yet if thay are harder.