• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce,105 for a bed, freightliner air-ride question

ccf460

I have my old bed gone,fixing to cut out the tandems,and have my m105 trailer in standby. I found a good source for a freightliner air-ride suspension. Is there enough room to keep the spare tire carrier and fuel tank with the shorter wheel base using the 105 bed? I forgot to measure the length of the air ride when I was at the salvage yard. Basically looking for someone who has this setup, or relative knowledge of it. Thanks.

DUECE-COUPE

if you use the 105 bed, you will have to either remove the middle rib on the front of the trailer to enable you to use the original rear drive shaft, by moving the bed as close as possible to the cab, or have the intermediate drive shaft (the one between the first and second rear axle lengthened to 55 inches. you should have no problem using the original spare mount and fuel tank, as they will not be in the way of the suspension based on the fact that the wheel base will be 135, and not 130, which s the original wheel base from center of front axle to center of #1 rear axle. Please any one as anything to add to this, please do, as i would like to know i am right, and if wrong, that as well.

ccf460

I am actually needing to know if the air ride front mounts will need to be mounted far enough forward to interfere with the fuel tank and spare mount considering this wheelbase, as they mount outside of the frame rails. I saw "Cidrich"'s truck in person, but he used a shortened m35 bed, so his wheelbase is ?

DUECE-COUPE

his wheel base is of not an issue for you. if you are using 900 series tires and a 105 bed, measure from the center of the fender on the 105 to the front of the bed, then measure from where the axle mounts to the air ride to the mount where the air ride mounts to the truck.subtract the suspension measurement from the bed measurement, and that # is what is left. measure from the back of the cab to the rear of the truck and mark the frame at this length. if the fuel tank is shorter that that line you are good to go for the fuel tank, and if the spare tire is in the mount and is inside that line, you are good to go there too. call me is you need some one to bounce your ideas off and i will see if i can help you see if clear if you are confused. PM sent.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my old bed gone,fixing to cut out the tandems,and have my m105 trailer in standby. I found a good source for a freightliner air-ride suspension. Is there enough room to keep the spare tire carrier and fuel tank with the shorter wheel base using the 105 bed? I forgot to measure the length of the air ride when I was at the salvage yard. Basically looking for someone who has this setup, or relative knowledge of it. Thanks.

If you use a M105 trailer box and do not lengthen the driveshaft you will have a truck that looks like this. You need to measure to get the axle in the center of the wheel well.

Attachments

Last edited:

ccf460

I understand the concept that I will be moving the axle to the rear approx. 6", I am looking for someone who has done this with an air-ride and, have they been able to keep the spare and factory fuel tank?

housemover

Yes the tank and spare are not in the way. I would suggest to lower the front mount below the frame slightly or the rear bags will have to be pumped up a little tight. You should put some thought into the end use of the truck though. I have noticed in grassy fields and on dirt the traction is reduced have to lock in on places I never had to with springs. But the on road ride is much better.