• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce axle spring perches

PUZZLED

My truck is near done w/ the Bob job, and I'm going over all the small things and making a list. i have to get new U-bolts because the one I had copied was done wrong and came out square instead of semi-round. Having a look at all that got me to wondering about my spring perches.

I did a bunch of trading to get my Front spring setup and ended up without front spring perches. I called Eastern and had a pair sent over. When I was installing the axle I just set them over the little alignment tabs on the axle and rolled the thing under the truck. I found out quickly that the alignment tabs didn't allow the spring to align correctly to the frame. SO.... i cut the little tab off the axle tube, center the axle in the frame, and clamped everything together.

My questions is:
Do I need to weld the perches to the axle tubes?

If so i'll have to go w/ aftermarket because I'm sure the cast iron isn't going to weld well. I've done a bunch of looking around over the last few years and am surprised no one has discussed the problem of the alignment pins on the axle or the perches.

jake1086

My truck is near done w/ the Bob job, and I'm going over all the small things and making a list. i have to get new U-bolts because the one I had copied was done wrong and came out square instead of semi-round. Having a look at all that got me to wondering about my spring perches.

I did a bunch of trading to get my Front spring setup and ended up without front spring perches. I called Eastern and had a pair sent over. When I was installing the axle I just set them over the little alignment tabs on the axle and rolled the thing under the truck. I found out quickly that the alignment tabs didn't allow the spring to align correctly to the frame. SO.... i cut the little tab off the axle tube, center the axle in the frame, and clamped everything together.

My questions is:
Do I need to weld the perches to the axle tubes?

If so i'll have to go w/ aftermarket because I'm sure the cast iron isn't going to weld well. I've done a bunch of looking around over the last few years and am surprised no one has discussed the problem of the alignment pins on the axle or the perches.

I JUST did my bob job, and I had the exact same question as you, I just put the axle perches and springs where they lined up and bolted it up. I hope someone has a concrete answer for us.

Moto4Life

If you heat up the cast iron before welding you can get decent welds. I've had to do a couple jobs welding mild steel to cast iron and with a little preheat they came out surprisingly nice.

PUZZLED

I know I can TIG cast iron to steel, but I don't want to do the job if its not needed. I like the idea of running a bead on each side to prevent sliding.

I may go ahead and do that, BUT first (since it all painted and pretty) I'm going to mark it with a sharpie and drive it around for a while. If I get some movement I'll weld a piece of 3/8" by 1/2" next to each of them as a stop.

jake1086

Another question I had while doing this was which way the ramp was supposed to run I set them up so the axle was sitting close to level... I think had I done it the other way the pinion would have been pointed downwards..... but ya that was another little thing I wondered as I did it "**** did I do that right?"

jasonn

I use the square u bolts from the bottom up and make matching plates like the five hole ones on the m105 and weld them to the axle. This gives more clearance under the axle with out damaging u bolt ends and provides a lot of strength. Hope this helps.

hornetfan

This is how my was done. It was a little loaded at the time the pics were taken!
Phil,

How much load to figure you on the bed? What wheelbase is your truck? Those are deuce front springs, right? I'm trying to learn before I start doing my M35A3. I'd like to end up with 2 ton capacity like the original XMX381 prototypes. The rear springs under the protos were 19 leaves @ 1960 lb/inch. I wish I knew the spring rates for the M35's and M105's were -- anybody know?

phil2968

Yes, deuce front springs with custom u-bolts and spring perchs. The rear axle is about where the deuce intermediate axle was. I know the multi fuel is 1650# per the TM plus what the container weighed. Maybe you should look at some 5 ton front springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks