• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce Drive Shaft

jknight611

Hi all, I am about 1/2 way through bobbing my M35A2, and have come to the driveshaft. I measure I need about 5 inches additional length. Anybody know what size and schedule the tubing the drive shaft is made from? If I weld it chucked in a lathe how important is it to have it balanced?

Thanks
Jay

gunner_bear

When i did mine i just measured face-face and brought it to the drive line place. $128 balanced and complete. I think i saw a SS member selling the tubing on ebay. I would say yes on the balance:D

plym49

In my experience the drive shaft shops are extremely price-competitive making it more difficult to justify doing it yourself. It can be done at home, I've even done it myself, but it is so much easier and quicker and not really expensive to have a drive shaft shop do it.

Seth_O

I've done other drive shafts myself, for what is a relatively small cost (even here in the Republik of Kalifornia - $150 lengthened and balanced) it's absolutely worth it to have a shop do it. You can't afford to have your main shaft out-of-balance, and you don't want to rip out a weld or mess up the flange alignment.

dc3coyote

Have you ever tapped a handfull of washers to your bosses driveshaft on his truck. they only weigh a few ounces but will make the truck shake likes theres no tomorrow.
I am a competant welder and a experienced metal worker. Drive shafts are best done by a shop. Spend the money and get it done right the first time.

jamesfrom180

heavy duty zip tie, with some duct tape, slight slack in the tie. It will slip from under the tape and sound like everything under the truck is dropping out. Make sure not to have the plane of death near any fuel or cooling lines. One of the favorite shop pranks.

Washers just tear up seals.:twisted:

hilton850

I don't usually post unless I have something constructive to say...so here goes....

I had some work done on a driveshaft on my pickup a while back - replaced the splined slip joint to be specific. I had a neighbor (who is a machinist by trade) do the work. He did it on a lathe just like the original poster suggested. He also told me if I ever did it myself just to make sure everything was straight using a dial indicator and a center support to support the end opposite the chuck. He claimed if you did that the driveshaft would not require any weights - everything being checked to be straight and true on the lathe. He also claimed that the factory used balance weights to account for "loose" tolerances on the driveshaft.

After all was said and done he removed the weight that was on my driveshaft, said I didn't need that anymore and that shaft has been in my truck for 10 or 12 years and I've had zero vibration and zero problems with it since he worked on it. I know I'm talking about a driveshaft on a pickup and you're talking about a deuce but I believe the same principles apply. I say go for it if you're comfortable using a lathe and have some knowledge how to allign things on it and are comfortable with your welding skills. The guys at the shop will never care about your rig as much as you do and may not take the time to get the alignment just perfect like you would.

On the other hand if you're not 100% confident in any of that stuff I'm with everyone else - take it to a shop. Just my $.02.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hilton850 x2

A hunert fifty bucks is a lot of salad these days. I have more time than ever to do things myself and relish the opportunity to keep the green. Especially now that I am not giving GL any business.

If you have access to a welder, lathe and dial indicator kit, why not try and DIY?

Rick