• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce, missing air brake lines

beastm35

Hello all, I'm running air lines to the back of my deuce for a trailer. I'm thinking this is not like regular air lines one for service from the pedal and one for continuous air to release them. So hears the question do both lines need to be a service line from the pedal so air is only applied when you hit the brakes? If so the brake line should come of the airpac right??Thanks...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck SHOULD have both lines plumbed back there already. Look for two ball valves, they operate backwards from a normal ball valve, handle in line is closed and 90 degrees to the line is open.

beastm35

Your truck SHOULD have both lines plumbed back there already. Look for two ball valves, they operate backwards from a normal ball valve, handle in line is closed and 90 degrees to the line is open.
No, my truck was bobbed and has no lines I'm just trying to figure out where to run the line fromm. thanks

tobyS

Yes, attach to service brakes. When air is applied, brakes actuate. I'm not sure how brakes on an M35A2 work with the air however.

As far as I can tell, they will not meet the break-away requirement without some modification. Note break-away is not required on all trailers however (I think single axle). M1061 has a similar brake setup.

My valves are all off when at 90* to the line, opposite to WW post.

beastm35

Yes, attach to service brakes. When air is applied, brakes actuate. I'm not sure how brakes on an M35A2 work with the air however.

As far as I can tell, they will not meet the break-away requirement without some modification. Note break-away is not required on all trailers however (I think single axle). M1061 has a similar brake setup.

My valves are all off when at 90* to the line, opposite to WW post.
OK are the service brakes on the airpack so run the line from airpac? not the tanks..

tobyS

Sorry, not familiar with the earlier deuce brake versions and the air system. I have an A3 (and have not got into the brakes yet...tranny first).

The 105 is simple....put air to the air over hydraulic unit and it actuates the brakes. So more air, more pressure against the spring and more hydraulic brakes applied. That would omit coming from the tank I think.

Someone will chime in that knows deuces better than me.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, not familiar with the earlier deuce brake versions and the air system. I have an A3 (and have not got into the brakes yet...tranny first).

The 105 is simple....put air to the air over hydraulic unit and it actuates the brakes. So more air, more pressure against the spring and more hydraulic brakes applied. That would omit coming from the tank I think.

Someone will chime in that knows deuces better than me.
Other than the split brakes the system is the same .

tobyS

I googled "m35a2 brake system diagram" and came up with a lot of results. Service brakes do seem to attach to the airpack....but again, I'm not an authority...just have some plans for using the M105 brakes and actuator.

Once you determine how the truck works, you may want an air flow control so locking up is not as much of an issue. It would meter (adjustable) for the actuation and have reverse free flow so the brakes dis-engage quick. My $.02

tobyS

It is not football time yet so here is some nice pictures of the way it was.
The documents have numbers all over them so you can search the TM's with
them and get to where you need to be to figure out what you have to replace.
View attachment 716137
What he is asking is where line #2 attaches. It seems to be the air-pack.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please excuse my ignorance on this I'm use to a maxi brake system like on 18 wheelers.
The M105's are air over hydraulic just like the M35's , the air activates the master cylinder which pushes fluid to the wheel cylinders on the trailer. Early trailers just had a service line , newer ones also had a emergency line and the A3's don't have air lines they went to a surge brake unit on them.

tobyS

Yea frank, that second one shows it perfectly.

Myself, If I were running air lines (on the truck), I might put one to the tank for tools, maybe a hose reel.

I have a hose connected all the time to the glad hand and would like something more permanent

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, my truck was bobbed and has no lines I'm just trying to figure out where to run the line fromm. thanks
Bummer...Frank8003 posted some good diagrams, you should be able to figure it out from there. Hopefully, whoever did the bob did the right thing by removing the line and just plugging the ports.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, both locations. The air pack connection might be hard to bubba because the "t" is the air pack casting, IIRC, it's been a bit since I had to mess with the brake end. The air tank side could have had fittings/components removed so it might be tougher to put back into service

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
beastm35 said:
Thanks frank I read your diagram and I have that u-shaped hose that go's from tank to tank on the rear of them it say's to take that off and is that where you hook up the two air lines for the trailer? I have everything I need including ball values and gladhands just need to know for sure I don't want to screw it up.. thanks
Follow the red line.

I suppose you could (but don't do that) plumb it into the air tank tye line as your suggestion but the diagram indicates the Letter N . Look there and that is where it original was for right side (starboard). See if it got capped off there at the letter N in the drawing.That goes to the starboard side for air in and air out.

You need to replace the red line DD in the drawing.

If you are working on the Port side (left-drivers side) then that line came off the Air Pak. It is probably still there, just cut off somewhere and capped/plugged.

The brake air supply was never meant to come off the Tee (Q) between the tanks.
I am sure there is reasons for that, like probably the brakes on the trailer would always be on.
Air Supply diagram with trailer service highlight.jpg

Look around under there.
Refer to the drawing and one would find, on the TOP of tank #2 the place where N is.
tank 1.jpgtank 2.jpg

If you see the old picture here is shows and is labled where the trailer gets its air from.
airpak connections.jpg

I don't think I am misleading your efforts here, but I was wrong once on a Tuesday, and anyhow I have to go watch football now.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks