• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce or 5 ton for light to moderate crawling, mudding, and general wheeling

dmolson92

Howdy,
I am getting ready to graduate college and I have been contemplating/lurking here for awhile. As I am graduating I am planning to use some saving to buy a good solid wheeling truck that I can drive on nice days and get some wheeling done as well! I have always dreamed of heading out to Moab, but I know I will only be able to do the easier trails. I plan on bobbing the deuce or 5 ton. Also upgraded air ride seat and lockers would be in order one day, along with upgraded lights and an adequate radio. My dad is a machinist and I welded for him all through high school, so I'm not afraid of facing my own stuff and I know it will take time! But that is what I'm looking forward to! We have a 12k mile marker winch I plan on throwing on there.

My question is, do any of yall wheel your deuces or 5 tons like that? Is this an over ambitious idea? If you do wheel your rigs post some pics! Or anything I'm missing on for a good wheeling rig? Thanks in advance!

Tlauden

Um yea, We wheel them!!! I've never driven a 5 Ton or a bobbed deuce but I'd imagine a 5 ton is on the verge of being to big for some 4-wheelin trails. Bobbed deuces though look awesome on the trails!!!! My stock deuce also did great on the trails, and it was some thick clay type mud that clogged the NDT's almost instantly.

Here's some pics of the fun to be had with these trucks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941812.451107.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941851.944253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941874.745046.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941893.132090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941918.886981.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941874.745046.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392941989.960988.jpg

And this is why you always let your buddy go first into a big hole!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392942040.746957.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392942068.492120.jpg

dmolson92

Thanks so much!!! My current idea is to lean towards a bobbed m35a3 for size and the fact it already has power steering! And comes with super singles.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try one unbobbed first. They are much more off road capable stock.

Jeepsinker

Try one unbobbed first. They are much more off road capable stock.
Yep! Look at the articulation of the rear ends in that pic, you cant get that or the contact patch of that with one less axle. Go on youtube and watch some bobbed deuce wheeling videos, you will see that they almost always end up stuck. Then watch some regular deuces wheeling and see what you think.

welldigger

Yep! Look at the articulation of the rear ends in that pic, you cant get that or the contact patch of that with one less axle. Go on youtube and watch some bobbed deuce wheeling videos, you will see that they almost always end up stuck. Then watch some regular deuces wheeling and see what you think.
That's because bobbers are front heavy. Chunk some sand bags in the bed. The weight on the rear end will help the rear axle get traction.

ATPTac

I'm partial to stock deuces for the reasons stated above, plus I think they look better. Bobbed trucks will enable you to get into tighter areas though. It's mostly personal preference. Also something else to keep in mind, if you end up doing any kind of fording, if you submerge the axles in water/mud there is a lot of maintenance to take care of afterwords.

w3azel

When making your decision don't forget to add up all the upgrades you plan down the road. Your smart thinking M35a3 for a better engine to turn larger tires and power steering. I more then doubled the cost of my deuce with 2 lockers $2,000 (shop installed), two axles lockouts $1070+$450 for rear axle shafts, and power steering $2350. Now I'm on the rims and tires payout $330 each for re centered and powder coated HEMITTs. Tires I might be trading for those. Still haven't done anything to interior and lights. Now these are big numbers and I'm not including my crew cab and bobbing expenses.:shock: Don't get me wrong I love my truck but my little toy has become my largest expense. For the money I could have bought a better wheeling only rig but it wouldn't be a show stopper like it is now and Id have nothing to do with my time. O and if we could just keep these cost's to ourselves and not show my wife that would be great.

welldigger

This may be true man, but you still don't get the contact patch that you have with the extra axle. More rubber on the ground is a good thing.
Depends on the scenario. That extra axle and the extra length of a 6x6 can hinder you just as much as help you. Just depends on where you are trying to go.

dmolson92

That was my thought on bobbing it... So I can get into some tighter trails... While I was lurking in some of these builds I am thinking of winches front and rear. I really like the m809 series looks and how they drive (only have driven an m35a2 and an m923) with the 5speed and that big nhc250under the hood, but now I'm thinking through the width issue of a deuce versus a 5 ton and the deuce seems better fitted to what I want to do...

Mercunimog404

Banned
Um yea, We wheel them!!! I've never driven a 5 Ton or a bobbed deuce but I'd imagine a 5 ton is on the verge of being to big for some 4-wheelin trails. Bobbed deuces though look awesome on the trails!!!! My stock deuce also did great on the trails, and it was some thick clay type mud that clogged the NDT's almost instantly.

Here's some pics of the fun to be had with these trucks
View attachment 479090
View attachment 479092
View attachment 479093
View attachment 479094
View attachment 479095
View attachment 479093
View attachment 479096

And this is why you always let your buddy go first into a big hole!!!!!!

View attachment 479097
View attachment 479098
Those are neat pictures. But that's not moab.

dmolson92

Lol that's pretty awesome... Still looking to see some people that rock crawl/ wheel their bobbed Trucks... Seen plenty of videos and been in plenty of bobbers that are mudding, so I know they can accomplish that!!!

desert demon

Lol that's pretty awesome... Still looking to see some people that rock crawl/ wheel their bobbed Trucks... Seen plenty of videos and been in plenty of bobbers that are mudding, so I know they can accomplish that!!!
I will be doing a lot more with mine this year.Last weekend playing on the rocks,the only thing I noticed was ya got to watch youre steps and fuel tank.Im running the bigger tires and no power steering at this time LOL.If ya like a good work out on youre upper body strength its all good :)

dmolson92

Desert demon , let me know how that goes!! That's exactly what I want to do!!! Where is that at???

Thanks all for the comments! I posted this same thing over on pirate4x4 and received little help except that I am apparently a complete moron for wanting to use an m809 series to go wheeling in... Go figure...

Anyone think of anything I'm missing besides lockers, winches (contemplating front and rear winches), HEMTT beadlock with 53's. Drove an m818 for sale and really liked it, so leaning towards that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks