• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce project pics

Bad-Karma

Not sure what i'm doing wrong,followed the instructions from the FAQ but can't seem to get this right. Sorry about that.

BThrasher

Very Nice!
Did you use m-105 trailer springs on the rear? I tried a set but the truck sat down and the front was higher than the back. Did you use any blocks to raise it up?

Bad-Karma

BThrasher-yes m-105 springs and mounts-had the same problem,back end low,never been a big fan of using blocks to lift any vehicle.I broke down the spring packs and added more leaves to adjust the height up about two inches. Then use new center bolt and start putting it all back together(kind of a pain in the a**)I'll try to find a pic of the springs.

Attachments

sermis

Any pic's of the build process? I think I am going to bob mine.
Did you lengthen the driveshaft or cut the bed down?

spicergear

I don't get it...the deuce I bobbed and the guy just finally came and got had the rear up about an inch or two even with the M105 trailer bed on it. Huh...that's odd-

Sermis, I would guess that he positioned the axle to fit the bed comfortably then had the driveshaft made to length. You don't want to start cutting beds and if you use the stock shaft the bed (from what I've seen) is too far back and leave a bit of a gap behind the cab. There ARE, however, different lenght stock shafts between cargo and tractor...thought I think you'll still be making them to length.

sermis

OK, I have not swapped beds over to see where it would fit. I haven’t even measured yet. Just trying to get an idea before I get started. I know you said you cut the driveshaft to fit. Someone else also talked about cutting the M35 bed down to fit but that seams like a lot of work.
How do they drive when bobbed? Better, worse, rougher, smoother???
Did the military even have a bobbed version they used?

spicergear

Okay...I was thinking about this today and gotta bring it up again. Someone's gotta tell me how it's possible that the rear of the truck is lower than the front when swapping in front suspension?!

-Same size tires will mean same height to the top of the axle tube. (or possible the front tube a hint lower due to the tires squatting from the front's weight)

-Straight frame rail with no bends.

-MUCH, much less weight on the swapped in front springs in the rear (only supporting some frame and maybe a 105 bed) when compared to the front with front sheet metal, hulking bumper, engine...etc.

--So I gotta know HOW, seriously, front spring swaps are ending up lower? Mine sure didn't. Same mounting hardware and a spring with more arch due to a much lighter load above it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks