• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce springs

blainedawson

I want to bob a deuce. Could someone give me a quick rundown on the process? What do you use for springs in the rear? I am also wondering if there are any engines that I can swap without any modifications, prefferably gas because of the cost. Any help would be great.

Pappa-G

"Seek and yee shal find."
Do a search there is a TON or a 2.5 ton of information on bobbing a duce or 5 ton. What springs can be used what tires what rims blah, blah you get the picture.
Good Luck!!

grounded

Banned
cause of the cost you wanta swap in a gas engine? you would be best to swap in a 5.9 cummins or just keep the multi and be done with it. but for any cost and how the engine will survive and give you in return. if you dont want the multi get a 5.9 and be done with it.

2cents

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want a gas deuce, find one that came with a gasser motor and just Bob that one. It will save you alot of time and money. However, you will probably come out ahead by using a multifuel or a diesel if you plan to drive it much.
The 5.9 Cummins is not only more fuel efficient, it will give you more power.
As far as rear springs, you should use a front spring set from another deuce.

beaubeau

You better read up on Multltifuels fefore making any changes. There is nothing more Economical than running a Multi with used motor oil, old gas Trans fluid. heating oilor even out dated cooking oil. Learn more about this engine before you Condemn it. Phiil

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As I tell prospective deuce buyers when they ask about fuel milage "Why worry about it when you make your own fuel".
Using used motor oil and gasoline (50/50 mix) my fuel cost me about 90 cents a gallon.
My favorite fuel is half diesel half waste veggie oil....the deuce loves both.
If you can't find front springs off a deuce you can use a set off of a M105 trailer but you will have to buy the hangers.

Sumoman

Can you really run a deuce on waste oil (I assume filtered somewhat) and gasoline mix? How do you personally do this. I have access to waste oil from a small city, they throw it out.

Thats great, talk about being Green!

As for wasted veggie oil can you also mix it with gas? And what type of filter do you need? I have a friend who runs a local McDonalds, I can get all the grease I want.

I may smell like a old truck burning french fries but if it can be done I am doing it:-D

sermis

I don't normally say this but search , search, search. It will take weeks and weeks of reading here but almost every point you can think of has been posted at one time or another.

blackdiesel

Can you really run a deuce on waste oil (I assume filtered somewhat) and gasoline mix? How do you personally do this. I have access to waste oil from a small city, they throw it out.
I've seen guys run it on straight waste oil (motor oil or veggie oil) they say gasoline is a last resort, and that your supposed to mix in a quart of oil per every x amout of gas to lube the pump. blah blah blah but mixing it half and half like stated above is not only doable but cost efficent.

I, also like wreckerman, run on diesel and waste veggie oil. throw in some used motor oil when ever i get around to filtering some.

if you can get ahold of waste oil, i'm assuming motor oil, take and mix it with some diesel to thin it down and then strain it or pump it through a filter. That way you can sleep at night knowing that you tried to catch some of the "fines" in the oil.

I dont really like burning waste veg oil, makes my truck smell like a nasty fast food kitchen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
To use waste veggie oil I filter it through two blue jean legs sealed at the bottom.
After I get all the gunk out of it I put it in a 30 gallon drum and set it in a warm area and let it settle for a few weeks to get all the water to the botton.
I pump off all but the last few inches and either store it or pump it into the fuel tank.
The ideal fuel grade WVO will look like light golden honey.
The deuce has three filters so they will catch anything that gets past my initial filtering.
I find that a 50/50 diesel and WVO is a ggod mix and the engine will still start when it gets colder. (never gets too frigid here in AL)
A gallon or two of regular gasoline per tank helps to thin it even more and adds a little heat to the mix.

I collect waste motor oil and put it in a black metal 55 gallon drum and set it out in the sun to heat up. This makes the water settle out and the oil easier to pump. Again, I never pump the stuff off the bottom of the drum.
I filter it through a system I cobbled together from parts I collected here and there.
It gets filtered several times before it goes into the tank.
I stick to 50/50 mix to keep the smoke down and to prevent "coking" around the valves and injectors.
The above works for me....your actual milage and success may vary.

blackdiesel

wreckerman, the jeans sound like a good idea. i've been straining mine through a shirt stretched over the top of a bucket. seems like you can sew up the legs and hang the jeans by the belt loops and fill her up. :-D

Thanks for the idea!

parts man

I see your looking for springs to bob your truck. I have several complete front sring sets ( springs, u-bolts, shocks, shock mounts, ect. ) off dueces. asking $300 per set. if interested please call 402-750-7772 I dont get to my computer very often. P.S. used trany fluid works good too.

Sumoman

Thats just great. I knew it was multi-fuel and I figured the military wanted it to run on anything but never thought that. I have access to 55 gallon drums and could get all the oil I would want since they pay to have it hauled off:-D

I am liking the idea of a deuce even more if thats possible.

As for the deuce smelling like a french fry.. as long as its free I could care less.