• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed deuce subberban style

jsthnt@gmail.com

I have been thinking about turning a bobbed deuce into a subberban style vehicle. I was wondering if the back half should be attached solid to the cab and then put spring under it or if it should be attached with a rubber boot of some sort and have it solid to the frame.
What do all of you think?
Thanks

91W350

I think you need a Unimog fire truck box.... find a Mog and see how they float the rear of the body to allow for chassis flex. Glen

rorybellows

so basically, a crew cabbed duece with a canopy that you can "walk" into from the front? if it was all one piece like a 'burb; thats alot of sheetmetal to be twisting when underway, especially if off-roadin'. you could do what the sport trucks do and just seal off the canopy really good and use an accordian type seal and cut a walkway through to the back.

jsthnt@gmail.com

That is kind of what I was thinking.

I also thought that the accordian / rubber seal would be the easyest. I could run 2 box's and cab's. One for the burb and one for a pickup.

I did see a mog for sale that would of been perfect in Colorado. But I like my multi-feul.

91W350

Multi-Mog is what I was suggesting. There was a few of the Mob ambulance and firetruck boxes floating around. They look like they would be about right in length and width for your shortened deuce frame. Hitch and a 105....... Glen

Preacherboy

That 5-ton is a photoshop job, but it is really, really cool and I'd like to have one if it was real!

You'd probably want to do it on 5-ton axles and have troop seats down each side with selt buckles and then up armor it like a MRAP.

ALA2

Maby u could use a alum bread truck body chop the top put in some windows keep the front sheet metal of the duce

ALA2

HammerBilt

I am not an engineer by any means but I have played with a few of these issues. The shorter the vehicle the easier it will be to stiffen the entire structure. You would probably have to then box the frame. Using flared holes in the boxing material would allow you to use thinner metal while retaining strength in that plane. This would be a start. Most (if not all) modern vehicles control flex in the body by using a second inner skin which is covered by plastic or whatever that has many bends in it to give it strength. This not only controls flex for day to day driving but keeps the passenger compartment from collapsing in a roll over. The same thing can be accomplished by constructing a full interior roll cage and welding thin strips of metal from the cage to the skin of the vehicle. The cage and the cab should both be connected to the frame via rubber or eurathane body mounts/bushings. This will give it a little wiggle room and help control vibration. Lot of work but hopefully this helps. B

91W350

Wonder how close the firewall cowling is to an older short bus? Some of those were built firewall back and were fairly tall in the firewall. Not saying you need a short bus Shawn, but you might look. You would be popular at the rallies for sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks