• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce vs deuce

Marloman

Help!
I have always wanted a deuce and never dreamed of owning one. I am looking to trade a mustang for a bobbed deuce. I am interested in this vehicle for SHTF vehicle. Snow, ice, mud, hill, mountain, rain, etc. The bobbed deuce has 49" tires. How do these perform in conditions vs the standard 10 tires. What are the positives and negatives of bobbed vs standard. m35a2
Thanks for the help

bjsmith

i like my bobbed deuce over the stock i had but i havn't done much offroading with it yet so that could change but on the street its better ride, better acceleration, better stopping,better turning radius, easier to park even with the 49" tires

caliber1

Help!
I have always wanted a deuce and never dreamed of owning one. I am looking to trade a mustang for a bobbed deuce. I am interested in this vehicle for SHTF vehicle. Snow, ice, mud, hill, mountain, rain, etc. The bobbed deuce has 49" tires. How do these perform in conditions vs the standard 10 tires. What are the positives and negatives of bobbed vs standard. m35a2
Thanks for the help
I've had mine in sand and mud, ful 10 wheels, and was impressed. Nothing extreme yet, but never skipped a beat. No ice or snow thank God. LOL, justbcan't believe a bobber would be too good on ice or snow, and especially ice or snow on hills or mountains.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want an MV for when the world ends, buy a submarine, not a deuce.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Bobbing greatly reduces your cargo capacity and number of spare tires you have (if you have a flat on the front axle you can single out one of the rears if the spare is flat too).

I have had both also and the cool factor of the bobber is higher than a stock deuce.

My yard beotch deuce is destined for bobbership.

treysoucie

Don't buy a bobber.. It's just an overweight truck at that point. You want capabilities put 46" SS on all three axles turn up the fuel and watch what it can do.

Last edited:

KsM715

If you want something for hauling stuff and a SHTF/GTFO situation, buy a stock deuce. 6x6 trumps 4x4. Stock dual tandems mean you have 5 spares already on board. If you want something to replace the fun the mustang provided and turn some heads, buy a bobber.

That would really depend upon what you want to do. For pure cool.factor, the bobber will generally win, the bigger the tires the better. For rugged functionality, full size is.best. The bobber is generally considered far superior as a rock crawler with front and rear lockers, the front needs to.be ARB air locker. The bobber will have significantly better turning radius. Either way, front lockouts are mandatory for street manners. Full size deuce should have both front and rearmost axle lockout hubs for street turning radius issues. Otherwise, you will scrub the tires on every turn. Which ever way you go, please do not bob an A3. Too few were.made. Need to preserve them.

My preference is full size with singles, mine is an A3. Front and rearmost lockout hubs are top of the list for the.next.mods.

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
If you want something for hauling stuff and a SHTF/GTFO situation, buy a stock deuce. 6x6 trumps 4x4. Stock dual tandems mean you have 5 spares already on board. If you want something to replace the fun the mustang provided and turn some heads, buy a bobber.
Open diff 6x6 will not trump locked 4x4

tco3129

Got both. Love both. Drive both. Which ever one has more fuel in it at the time is the one I drive. Warm, Dry, Wet, Cold, Ice, Snow, Short run or long haul, Both are great. If you want it to be practical buy a 4x4 3/4 ton pickup with extended cab.2cents

dilligaf13

I bobbed my deuce and it's on 49's. It has much better manners in town and I've taken it in some pretty nasty stuff with no issues. I've never run it in the snow and probably never will, due to the fact that it hasn't snowed around here since 1977, so I can't help you there. I agree that if you want a bug out vehicle get a standard A2 duece on 46's for the extra ground clearance, multifuel capabilities, and load capacity. If you want a BIG A$$ truck you can drive around town and off road go with a bodded deuce.2cents

Awesome Possum

Help!
Thanks for the help
Much would depend on the type of S hitting the fan. Bugging out to your BOL, or just getting away from the coast in case of a hurricane? A bobber provides much more maneuverability in case you should need it, not to mention that mine can now live in the driveway instead of in storage. There can be times where that can be the difference.
Get us some pics of this thing before you do any deal. Everyone here enjoys spotting the problems that some of these trucks have after being bobbed by savages. Go crazy with the camera, especially under the truck.

roscoe

I've been trying to like the bobbed trucks (really like bobbed motorcycles), but it just seems like your turning a unique military truck into a run of the mill 4X4. I'm still trying though and I do have an extra truck.:razz:

Awesome Possum

I've been trying to like the bobbed trucks (really like bobbed motorcycles), but it just seems like your turning a unique military truck into a run of the mill 4X4. I'm still trying though and I do have an extra truck.:razz:
If it doesn't grab you by the collar and yell "Make me!" then it probably never will........ But, have you driven one yet? Me and Badga found a good sized mud puddle on a vacant lot the other day, the kind with a nice clay-kinda' mud in it? In two minutes it had me a-whoopin' an' a-hollerin' (hey, this is Texas) just like the 16 year old sitting next to me. It'd never had done that with the 3 axles on, not without scaring the heck out of me!