• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed deuce with no modification to springs?

BadMastard

Hey Glen,

Ok, here's what I'm thinking. Your front weight at 6800 is probably correct and ok if you remove the unsprung weight of 1800 or so pounds from your axle. Same for the back I think, only double. which means the spring weight is probably about 7000 total. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Jerry

jamesfrom180

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/56738-full-length-4x4-deuce.html

Guess the searches you have tried were different. The above thread I think covered at least the feasible means of doing this. Screen shot of vid but shows the singled rear axle. Have a nice day.

Edit: I'm turning into a grouch! I actually kinda like this mod. Just because it has been done before does not mean its right. Kenny you posted on this last thread about a neighbor, do you know if he did this?

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

Hey Glen,

Ok, here's what I'm thinking. Your front weight at 6800 is probably correct and ok if you remove the unsprung weight of 1800 or so pounds from your axle. Same for the back I think, only double. which means the spring weight is probably about 7000 total. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Jerry
You lost me in the translation Jerry. Mine is not bobbed, the front axle weighs 6800, the rear two axles are carrying 7400 for a total weight of 14200, that is with my dog and myself on board.... I would like to shift 1800 pounds to the rear axles, but I am not carrying that much weight in tools. I have my under seat packed with a couple of tool bags and a bag of filters and the box below the driver's floor is full of chains, tools, jacks, straps, triangles, first aid kit, tire tools, all that good stuff.

The data plate lists empty weight as 5700 and highway as 5988. I am over 800 pounds on the front axle before I ever load the box. The math on the data plate does not match my truck so well.

Glen

mudguppy

... but does that have any negatives? ...
turning radius would get even worse and ride would be more harsh (if the rear suspension was fairly stiff for load control).

i really don't see the huge advantage to single-ing the rear unless you're shortening the wheelbase and/or bob'ing it. 2cents

BadMastard

Hey Mudguppy- good point. The point to keeping the wheelbase long is to keep the bed intact. But you have a good point.

91w350- Glen,

Heck, I sort of lost me in translation too. What I was trying to say is you probably aren't overloading the springs, because you subtract the weight of the axles from the total weight to get the amount of weight on the springs. As far as your truck being fat, (I mean that in the best possible way) did you change the tires too? that, with all those pretty tools could do it.

Jamesfrom180- when I click that link, I get page not found. Pretty much the same for the search. And you did say use the search in the nicest possible way. But I do like hearing what people think might be a problem, because I don't have all the answers. Sometimes I don't even have the questions.

91W350

Nope! Mine is on ten 9.00X20 NDTs. They are like new Titans though. Through my M105 purchases, I have enough new Titans to give it another complete set of new tires. I can tell though, that the front tires wear much faster, as do the outside tires on the rear most axle. I suspect they scrub in hard turns. I was surprised at the M105 trailer's balance, it only added about 200 pounds to the truck weight, even though it has 10 900X20s stacked up inside of it. I wish I would have had them stamp a scale ticket for the trailer axle weight as I was past the digital readout when the trailer hit the scale.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/56738-full-length-4x4-deuce.html

Guess the searches you have tried were different. The above thread I think covered at least the feasible means of doing this. Screen shot of vid but shows the singled rear axle. Have a nice day.

Edit: I'm turning into a grouch! I actually kinda like this mod. Just because it has been done before does not mean its right. Kenny you posted on this last thread about a neighbor, do you know if he did this?
Yes pretty much what he did. I will grab some pic in a little while if I can but dont think I can post them from this tablet. Sucks not havinga computer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks