• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce

SasquatchSanta

By staying inder 2,400 RPMs I've got over 12 MPG with an LDT-D.

It remains to be seen what the LDS-1A will get --- I haven't driven it much since the installation in Dec.

My weight is pushing 11K with the generator in the back, chains etc.

oldshep --- I think your wheels are the best looking set I've ever seen. I assume they cane from USA 6X6. How do you like them?

jatonka

XM35A-4

To the man looking to build a 4x4 conversion: Go see John Winslow, He's been doing it since Jim Henry told him about them. I got my JATonka idea from John Winslow years and years ago. I think the pictures of mine on the internet might be part of what has started the latest craze of 4x4 deuces. I must mention, There are photos in Fred Crismon's book of the XM381 and XM381E-1 which were both 4x4 Reo trucks from the 1950'2 and again in the 1960's. Nevertheless, It's been great fun watching you guys build yours. My mileage is around 12 to 14 mpg. On 14Rx20s. It weighs 10,380 with a half tank of fuel and no driver. The next one is something special. JT

SasquatchSanta

RE: XM35A-4

jatonka wrote:

My mileage is around 12 to 14 mpg. On 14Rx20s. It weighs 10,380 with a half tank of fuel and no driver.
Hey John ... You mentioned Reos. Is the above 12 to 14 mpg with a Reo gasser?

I've been lusting to build a Reo gasser and I "think" I've found one that has already been chopped enough that I wouldn't feel overly quilty about bobbing an older "vintage" deuce.

I'm interested in gasser fuel consumption.

SasquatchSanta

miamirex wrote:

I bought that sick one, arrives this week, cheers
Hey miamirex --- congratulations --- that's a nice looking truck.

How about some more pictures and some info as to what the back bed was fabricated from. I like the no running board look BUT how do you plan to get in and
out of it?

russ81

Hey Sasquatch, I have a 1959 Reo Gasser that I am pulling the engine out of. If you are interested let me know. Otherwise the engine is just going to to set around in the yard.

Rusty

Miamirex

You know, we wer talking about getting in and out of that truck last night. At this time you just "pull yourself up". At my current age that is still possible, but 15 yrs from now unlikely. My cousin with great clarity of thought said "you can put a step on it then", really excited about seeing the beautiful bobbed Monster Truck, regards, robert

SasquatchSanta

russ81 wrote:

Hey Sasquatch, I have a 1959 Reo Gasser that I am pulling the engine out of. If you are interested let me know. Otherwise the engine is just going to to set around in the yard.
Thanks for the heads-up Rusty. There's a slight possibility I might want to discuss this when summer arrives though currently the Reo I'm winking at supposedly has a fairly fresh rebuilt motor.

Is your take-out engine a Reo or Continental?

russ81

Sasquatch,

It is a Reo Golden Comet 331.
I don't have anything in mind to put it in right yet, so if I still have it when your ready we can talk. Otherwise it is just going to be setting in the yard.

Miamirex--getting in isn't going to be the biggest problem. Getting OUT will be!! Better rig up some kind of elevator 'cause jumping down from that truck is gonna mess up your knees real bad. A very short lady I worked with had a lifted Ford Ranger years ago and had to sell it after only 6 months or face surgery. Maybe some kind of ladder that can fold up onto the fender with a spring latch mechanism, or something that dangles from the door on command--just enough to keep from putting that stress on your joints. Otherwise, in 15 years that step you add ain't gonna make any difference!

5tonjeepman

Hi Guys..

I'm new to this "bobbed deuce" build idea.. I live in NH and am scouting out for a chassis-cab deuce for my build.. I noticed you all live out-west, is there anyone here closer to the North-east?? If so, I would love to see what was done.. I know their around just gotta find'em..
How did you get the dog-bones off, shorten the frame and put on leaves and singles.?? I'm looking for 1960-1975 Kaiser, I just love the noses..
Nothing better than running with other really smaller jeeps..lol Any help is very much appreciated.. The newest vet.....Eric F.

5tonjeepman

Hey guys..

I got a reply from one of you about a North Eastern company near NH that sells bobbed Deuces already made.. I would like to contact them but cannot find the address that was sent...:-(((( I opened it and it disappeared..?! I think it was Desert Fox who lives near me was the one who refered them to me, I feel bad asking again but would you re-send me the information please?? Thank You..:)))))))