• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed deuce

deuceman08

im going to pick up a m35 and bob it but was wondering is there anything more than getting rid of the rear axle, other than shortening it. do you you need to relocate anything.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, you need a set of front springs to put in the rear in order to use one axle. I have some sets if you need 'em.

GoHot229

I'd plan well ahead if you intend to Bob, before you start yanking stuff off and cutting. The length of the driveshaft is typically going to determine the length/ placement of your rear springs/mounts for starters, however, it can be longer or shorter by shortening the driveshaft or also lengthening it (a job for pro's) (the driveshaft) thus you end up with your desired frame length. The rivits are fierce pieces to remove, usually a torch and air hammer(Large hammer) or a drift and sledge hammer. Also theres the jackstands and such to hold the frame/body at the desired heigth so you can do all this, and an engine hoist is handy, or A-frame hoist. All in all its relativly easy enough if your any kind of gearhead, and can fabricate or desighn and have access to a welder or a (Welder person). But take a day or two to plan your attack and all the bits that that attack will change.ie. brake lines, spare mount, rear fenders, what bed, stuff like that. There are hords of Bobbers here on SS, so as its been said a patrillion times "Do a search" and if you get stumped , ask here on the forum in a post or PM any of us, I'm sure there are lots of guys/gals here at your service.

deuceman08

thanks for the good advice, i have access to a whole machine shop cause its my cousins so thats not a problem and i have shop with plenty of tools and forklifts and stuff

GoHot229

$300 up to $800, but low will probably get'ya somthing good enough.
Cost to build a Bobber.................... is a article I did, look there, lots of info
__________________ That thread will give you a reality check, some members to contact with pm's or questions and an idea of the related costs to completion and the time frame typically.

Last edited:

Billy Bobbed

What till you have to drill the new holes in the rear,that was rough.Im still sore I was going to cut the rear off and reweld it back on .So i wouldnt have to redrill all those holes.

GoHot229

Way better the way you did it......heat-torch/frame-cutting = bad.... not good for the frame to heat and torch. The verry rear of frame's not so bad, but usually a torch should be avoided directly on the frame-rails anywhere between the bumpers.

Billy Bobbed

I know a few people that cut the center of the truck so they dont have to cut all the reviots out ,or drill new holes.Then they weld it back together in the middle of the springs.I didnt want to do that.I took the extra time and cut all the reviots,brackets off.Then we used a band saw to cut the frame from the back .Nothing is welded.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks