• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed Deuce

comdiver

I getting close to building my own bobbed deuce. The truck has been found and purchased. Comes with a trailer and springs. Got a lot of parts that I've saved up and bought for the project. I read and reread everything that I can find here and on the web. Looked at one great looking truck.Thanks Dave! Cleaned out a spot in the shop...... Does anybody have any new photos? I want to get as much input and ideas before I start.

devilman96

Don't use the trailer springs... They are wider yes but not the same height when slung... the arse of the truck will always sag down making the truck sit goofy looking. In order to keep that from happening you will have to add about 2.5 inches of spacer blocks between the frame and hangers, which is a PAIN in the ARSE and dumb looking to boot... (IMHO)

Hunt down and find a set of front springs to do the job, in the end you will be much happier. They are also easier to hang and get straight as you have the front of the truck to go off of... That makes a big difference in set up time.

Planning your build is up to your personal choice on how to do the job... When I did mine, I'd say it was about a 18 hour job working by myself but that included going through the whole rear end, brakes, wheel bearings, flipping hubs, etc... Had it not been for all of the extra it proably could have been done in about 12 hours.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=diablo&start=80

Things to consider while your poking around back there are... u joints, seals, wheel bearings, new brake lines, wheel cylinders or kits, new rear harness (much easier to cut down than the old one). Most of the part numbers I used for the job are posted in the parts X section so they can be had locally if you want / need them.

devilman96

You might be right about that, It's the hangers that throw them off as they sit lower and wider than the stock front deuce mounts.

Somewhere on the site there is a good thread that shows the difference in heights when mounted... For the life of me I can not remember whom posted it but they did a really good job of documenting it with pics.

comdiver

Thank you, Joe and Devilman. I'm still looking for more photos. What do you guys think about using springs and hangers from a Chevy C60?

Blythewoodjoe

If you decide to use deuce front springs you don't need any more pictures. That's the beauty of it, all you have to do is look at the front of your truck.

Official opinion alert: If you have front spring available I think it is the easiest way to do it because it will be identical to the front and it will look and carry the load perfectly. If you don't have front springs available you can put anything you want on there, it will just require more engineering on your part. I always try to go with the pre-engineered stuff when possible, but some times it is more affordable to engineer something myself. I am making a hoist for my trucks dump, because I didn't want to spend the money on a real one. Might work, might fail. We'll know soon enough.

Good luck and if you want some more pictures PM me and let me know what you would like to see and I'll take them and post them.

Joe Trapp
Not always right, but I sure think I am.

24-VOLTS

I went with front springs from a international three axle truck. There rated for 12,000 lbs 3 inches wide and about a 18 inches longer then front springs from a duece. They are heavy duty and work real nice. I had no problem hanging them. I am fabrication something for the shocks but using existing parts from other transport trucks. I like these springs due to they are wider and longer give a better feel on the road. I did move my axle farther back then most of the other shortend dueces due to I wanted to have a spare tire. Where they seem to not have a spare. The down side to having my truck 14inches longer then normal is I had to have a new drive line built. But that is my preference.

Phill

jeli

24-VOLTS said:
I went with front springs from a international three axle truck. There rated for 12,000 lbs 3 inches wide and about a 18 inches longer then front springs from a duece. They are heavy duty and work real nice. I had no problem hanging them. I am fabrication something for the shocks but using existing parts from other transport trucks. I like these springs due to they are wider and longer give a better feel on the road. I did move my axle farther back then most of the other shortend dueces due to I wanted to have a spare tire. Where they seem to not have a spare. The down side to having my truck 14inches longer then normal is I had to have a new drive line built. But that is my preference.

Phill
Do you have any pics?

devilman96

Thank you, Joe and Devilman. I'm still looking for more photos. What do you guys think about using springs and hangers from a Chevy C60?
I think its a bad idea.... Or maybe not a bad idea so much as a waste of time... Here is the thing with using the front end parts... Its a NO BRAINIER... pull your measurements and keep it square, thats all you have to worry about. The hangers, u bolts, shock mounts, etc set right up, you don't have to fight with your drive shaft angle alignment, etc... its cut frame and bolt together... get a piece of brake line and thats all!!! No fabbing, fighting, aligning, guessing, etc... One day job and your done!!!

Hunt down someone selling the parts... Most guys whom cut trucks have the whole shooting match ready to go for about $300. Looking at the time involved and the fabrication required to go another route it kind'a pointless... If you can not find any near you PM me and I will get you a number for a guy here in FL whom has them.

Miltrucks

For anyone looking for the front suspension setup - I have one set left here in Central Ohio for $150. All you need is new U-bolts and shocks if you want them. Pictures on the website. Frame sections still attached so you can remove them however you want.

Miltrucks

Unfortunately, I recently had tendon surgery on one of my arms and it will be summer at the earliest before I am able to begin doing any heavy work on the trucks again. That said, probably won't be hitting too many shows this year. It's horrible having all these play toys and not being able to use and drive them :) That said, I do have a way to load them down at the farm if someone wanted to pick them up.

RICE670

Eric, I understand,If by chance they make the trip to an Mv show,give me a heads up.
CCatlett1984 thanks, I appreciate your offer to help. regards scott

BigWheelBob

Let me clarify a couple things for you. First off, you can use the trailor springs if you want, as they are the same as the deuce springs, however you MUST use the deuce front brackets to get the proper ride height. And alot of times the trailor springs will be in much better shape than the truck springs will be. And secondly, there is one bolt hole on the front side that you can position off for your brackets to line up from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks