• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed halftrack 4x4

M215

With everyone chopping up perfectly good pieces of military history these days, figured I would follow along and save myself some work. Installing tires on the rear jack-shaft, cutting the frame will be much easier than putting the tracks and all those rear suspension parts back on!

Sorry, just having some fun, rolled the frame and most of the rear suspension parts out for paint. Hope to have a rolling running chassis together this summer. Bogies, tracks, motor and tranny / transfer are ready to go as soon as the paint dries.

Karl

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

I think you could be on to something. You could start a whole new trend. Wait until the WWII reenactors find out. It will change the whole hobby. Could rat rod Jeeps be far behind?

FrankUSMC

The Colombian Army did not "chop" the frame, but did remove the track assemblies and ad a truck axle to the rear of the halftrack. This was done because of the problems of getting tracks for their halftracks. They were in use up into the 1970s. There is a photo of one in Steven Zaloga's book US Halftracks.
One of the few. Frank USMC RET

M215

Looks like your departure angle is going to be a bit tricky :-D

Those are some seriously nice NDTs for a rolling chassi.

The bogie support frame dragged the ground when it was pulled out of the shop. Had to jack it up with blocking to allow enough height to paint the underside. White designed the rear drive train to use standard truck rear axle and hubs, so standard deuce 6 lug 9x20s mounted up easily to both axles.
Throwing a set of temporary wheels on the jack shaft was an easy way to roll the frame out for painting.

The White, Autocar and Diamond T halftracks used 8.25x20 front tires. You should not run the larger 9x20 tires on the Whites if you plan to engage the front axle, different axle ratios. International did use 9x20 tires on their halftracks.
I do have a set of original combat rims for the front, planning on purchasing a pair of 8.25x20s at Aberdeen this year.

Who wants to help wrestle the tracks on? I think they weigh 500lbs each.

BobM

Who wants to help wrestle the tracks on? I think they weigh 500lbs each.

Me! Me! Pick me.....Oh wait I still hafta work!:(
Great thread title! made us all look! And if you ever do decide to bob one of these, you'd better make it VERY fast so that all the reenactors can't catch you and kick your butt!:)
Back when I was young and even poorer than now, I had to pass on a white halftrack for $800.:(

68t

looking great karl. i got a ww2 t17 soft cab halftrack that i am working on. they did not make alot of the t17. some went to russia, i got 4 halftrack, ww2 5ton semi, and jeeps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks