• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed HMMWV

ccf460

I have seen the pics online of the bobbed hmmwv. I thought it would make a great father son project for a first car . I am not chopping up a whole hmmwv, but building one from almost 2 hmmwv's worth of parts in the back yard. Does anyone know who built it or where/if there is a build thread on it? Thanks.I am really concerned/interested in the rear propeller shaft setup.
This.......
bobbed hmmwv.jpg

Last edited:

ccf460

I have 2 brand new left & right frame rails for one of the trucks(good template), but the other one has cut frame rails (not enough to make a full truck). The good thing is they are not like most cut frames, there is substantial length from both ends(only a few inches shy of complete).And one of my bodies has been split 4 ways. This seems like the best thing to do with it. I am a certified welder and have experience at reducing /adding to wheel bases on vehicles.BUT, don't want to get it done and realize there isn't room for a rear driveshaft.

ccf460

I would probably put a 5.3 crate motor with a 400 or 700r4 (whichever is shorter) or another compatible short auto. Then I would need to find a 2 hi compatible transfer case that will tolerate the front drive shaft turning all the time. And probably shift the whole drive train as forward as possible to have any kind of rear drive shaft.

dilvoy

The Fan on a Humvee is already within one inch of the second cross member so you really can't move the engine forward. Use electric fans at your own risk.
From what I heard, that vehicle had a slip yoke and a U joint connecting it to the rear diff yoke.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem I have with this photo is that in all the years "and this photo has been around for many many years" I have never heard mention who owns it or built it, it's the only photo of it....just makes me wonder if it's a photo shop job.
I would really want to see some up close photos of how it was cut from a structural perspective. I have built body's up from just a stripped center tub, we are taking one **** of a lot of work....not saying it can't be done, but I have spent many beers starring at a HMMWV body trying to come up with a good place to start cutting based on that pic.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe at one time way back when the humvees were first being sold off as demil only, the scrapper just had to cut them in half before removal and salvage of stuff like tires and engines was allowed. But some of them ended up welded back together and back on the road. Same as the old jeeps where guys advertise cut or uncut. Hence the shredding demil requirement that was in place until recently. I think some of the cut pieces ended up being made into stuff like the shorty pictured.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks