• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M-52A2

eldgenb

have fun with the bobbed truck, with as many of these trucks that are cut and shipped overseas for scrap weight people are barking up the wrong tree to those of us who bob and continue to use and love these trucks here in the good old USA.

ChuckM

have fun with the bobbed truck, with as many of these trucks that are cut and shipped overseas for scrap weight people are barking up the wrong tree to those of us who bob and continue to use and love these trucks here in the good old USA.
That's what I been thinking. And I started this thread under mods and hotrodding which includes bobbing....so i don't understand all the drama directed toward me.
If it's all about keeping a truck original then you shouldn't see any of the older trucks with super singles or anything like that....

vtdeucedriver

That's what I been thinking. And I started this thread under mods and hotrodding which includes bobbing....so i don't understand all the drama directed toward me.
If it's all about keeping a truck original then you shouldn't see any of the older trucks with super singles or anything like that....
Well when one supersingles a truck, That can be corrected. Bobbing a truck can not and in many ways I personally think you just sacrificed the usefulness of the truck but I will also personally thank you for mine and the others like myself where the value of our M-52's just went up.

Enjoy your truck, I know I enjoy mine.

ChuckM

Well when one supersingles a truck, That can be corrected. Bobbing a truck can not and in many ways I personally think you just sacrificed the usefulness of the truck but I will also personally thank you for mine and the others like myself where the value of our M-52's just went up.

Enjoy your truck, I know I enjoy mine.
Still have the tandem set-up and it can easily be put back. It's a mute point because I could care less of the value of my truck or yours.....because I have no intentions of selling it.

bearboley

Take it easy on him after all its his truck and he is free to do whatever he likes with it. Its not my cup of tea but I won't discourage him from doing what he likes with his stuff and I would be pleased to help him help him any way I can. He is a new guy and I say welcome.:beer:

ChuckM

Take it easy on him after all its his truck and he is free to do whatever he likes with it. Its not my cup of tea but I won't discourage him from doing what he likes with his stuff and I would be pleased to help him help him any way I can. He is a new guy and I say welcome.:beer:
Thank you glad to be here.

Danger Ranger

You are new, so I am not suprised to see you missing some of the points mentioned. Here are some rules to live by here...

1) Bobbing is cutting up a truck. Some like it, some don't, and everyone will give you their own opinion. Its your truck, you can do what you want with it.

2) Get a tough skin. Don't take things personally. And don't take my advice the wrong way, it may be harsh but true.

3) M52s are less common trucks. Some people may wish you cut up a common truck like an M35 or the 5-ton equivilent.

4) None of the razzing is personal, it is directed against all bobbers by those who don't like bobbing. You'll have that. I am neutral, because you have to do it right for me to like it, you know.

Ridgerunner

I alway wonder why certain SS members that are against modifying military trucks, even go to the "Modifying and Hot Rodding" forum. Makes no sense to me.

They add absolutely nothing to the thread or conversation, and come off as self-importand and snobbish.

eldgenb

I alway wonder why certain SS members that are against modifying military trucks, even go to the "Modifying and Hot Rodding" forum. Makes no sense to me.

They add absolutely nothing to the thread or conversation, and come off as self-importand and snobbish.
... not everyone wants their own personal museum.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChuckM

First off thanks Danger Ranger for the advice, but I'm not thin skinned or upset. I'm just the type person that will defend himself and/or my decisions.

Let me share how I came into ownership of this truck. Like I stated earlier my original plan was to build something lighter on 5 ton axles with a mild bigblock. I spotted this truck about 5 miles from my house. I was only interested for the axles as the truck had been sitting for at least 3 years. The previous owner used it for a logging spot truck for about 7 years and went out of business. Called and talked to him. I never discussed the running condition with him until I went to get it (April 5). He was like..."you know this truck will run"...I told him yeah ok...He said it ran when he parked it, so I went home, got 2 hot batteries and a can of ether. Installed batteries and gave it a short blast of ether and she busted off and idled perfectly. I jumped in it and drove it home with no brakes. Purchase price...$1500.

I played with it in the yard and my hunting lease for 5 or 6 hours trying to find something mechanically wrong with it. I fell in love with it. So the next step was to see if it would pulled the 18.4-34's I already had. So, on April 7 I put them under it without bobbing it and played in the yard. Pulls just fine....even good enough to break an axle.
April 8, started removing tandem setup. April 9, purchased springs to bob it. April 10 in the AM I rolled her out of the shop.
With the cost of the tires/wheels and spings I have 3K in this project and feel it's the best money I've ever spent.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job on your hard work Chuck; nice to see older iron still able to be driven & have fun with!! Looks like you're getting the full value from your efforts, love that shot in the mud hole!

This is what brought me to SS; my very rough WW2-era G7117 is of no use to me to fully restore back to its original condition, so I'll be modifying it when I get time. That way I'll get more use out of it, and keep it from getting scrapped. It will still maintain enough of its original character, but doesn't have to be brought back to NOS condition.

Better to see a truck modified than scrapped, plus we learn a lot of new (and very cool, very neat) things from members who mod their trucks. God knows I appreciate it!

Thanks for sharing Chuck!

ChuckM

I'm back in the states after a month overseas. I've got a few things done already...fixed the brakes, installed an EGT gauge, installed a delco 21si, mounted a set of 1400's, and mounted a new 18,000 lb warn winch. I've located a deuce cargo bed...just gotta go get it now. Paint to come after the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks