• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed M880/CUMMINS hybrid

m880 unimog

thanks -i started this out as a build diary -to keep track-but i,ve had great encouragement and plenty of help from the SS faithful-it,s always a boost-

got more done-

sat her down on her new boots today-

having the bed raised allowed me cut the headboard , i didn,t want to do this , but it was un-avoidable-hope to keep the looks of the rear bed as stock as possible , -it,s what i know , it,s what i like.

ready to leave the current locale-

look who came to help-dumpy!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

here are some box section adaptors i made up to allow the use of a tilt and bows - as the original M884 bed has been chopped down by 22 inches , i knew i,d need a special one made from sctratch-

i got some 60 x 30mm box section , which fits in the stake side slots a treat-

i TIG,d a cap with a captive m6 nut to each of the 6 adaptors-

then i bent up some 20mm o.d. CDMS tube to replicate the profile of the rear of the cab-

i will weld tabs and plate hooks to secure it all together , at a later date-one of those ' LATER JOBS' -must be #123 by now-

i also got the winch damper/brake -bracket arc welded with 6013,s to the chassis-

im away for a while working on the SPEEDWEEK bike , then moving into my new warehopuse [i hope]

was under manners from DOG to play our game-so had fun with him for an hour or so-ROLL ON SUMMER !!

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

well i got into my new place-it,s at the back of the local scrap metal yard , so im in heaven , there,s also a traditional english cafe right outside the door-and it,s run by ENGLISH people !
we got real clear fresh weather , great on the bikes but seriously cold [i know some of our northern states and canadian friends would tell me it,s just mild...]
few shots from last few days....
my brotjher AJ- came to help out,so did regular hubzy-lucky to have friends and famil;y that dont mind a bit of grease and grief..
hooked her up and dragged her out.....
few of the green children-
went to my mates welding shop , plasma cut the tempory engine mounts out-
built a tempory lifting frame-
lifted motor and trans with pull lift-
set the motor and trans in correct position-
finnish welded the mounts and fitted the new transmission cross-member -
looking forward to starting work on the pipework, and desighning the wiring -

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

M880 - just went through your thread - it looks like total chaos and I think I saw some of them fellas hanging around you on the Black Adder show.

The total chaos is organized production and work in progress - your groups work is outstanding when a step is done. Looks like it is coming together nicely and a tip of the hat from over here in Georgia.

I would have throught with hard work like that you fellas would be eathing fish & ships instead of bacon sandwiches - but the beer stays.

:driver:

jbingvtx

I have been following your build...just fantastic! Seeing the profile with the body pieces assembled AWESOME!! I can't wait to see some video of your M-880 off road.
:beer:

m880 unimog

I think I saw some of them fellas hanging around you on the Black Adder show.

:driver:
ha! ha! black adder-those were the days-really it,s just me doing most all of the building- hence the chaos-the guys are always there for me when it,s time to lift something i cant alone or major vehicle movements,MARK at brooklands welding has been a god send on this build as he has a rib cracking humour , a plasma cutter and 3 tonne forklift-he also has the alloy TIG skills i aim for in ten years.
"to create, you must first destroy" malcom Mclaren
the truck is just one of my WAY TOO MANY projects-im spread pretty thin.
great to hear from georgia,we may be over there in a few months looking at some hot rod and two wheeled project donors-

Attachments

Last edited:

m880 unimog

I have been following your build...just fantastic! Seeing the profile with the body pieces assembled AWESOME!! I can't wait to see some video of your M-880 off road.
:beer:
hey bing , im real keen to get into some terrain too-still a long road with fabrication to go-im just getting the shopping lists sorted out for the air over oil brakes-having to almost completely renew all pipework and fittings-got the bonneville racer to do lots on -and im just off over to my spiritual home-
IRELAND-EIRE-EIRINN:beer:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, what a VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE build! NICE work, I gotta subscribe to this thread...

Thanks for sharing, that is fantastic!

m880 unimog

thanks-always a pleasure to hear from any member of the NRA-
i sometimes wonder when i,ll get time to get it all these jobs done!-but im still mad keen on it -so-
got the diesel tank hacked and whacked-used the stock unit that went with the cummins donk-that way i can order-fuel filters,use the stock lines, and have the level sender function as it did.
sadly, since moving into my new warehouse i have had almost ZERO spanner time on the truck-preparations for BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK and general motorcycle fiddling are taking up way too much time-
however- i did get my workshop heater project started-and ...finnished :jumpin:-it,s just a pleasure to have a heated workshop,as the schitzo weather here in england jumps from warm sun and blue skies to rain then snow-this just burns palletts and small logs-it heats up the whole top workshop-never getting outta here now!

Attachments

m880 unimog

digging this thread up from the mud and getting up to date-seems like i,ve lived a few different lives since i last posted any progress or got any time on this truck.
did a bit towards the roll over bar-
this is just the first few bars and is NOWHERE NEAR the finished job-
it is planned to extend over the cab - giving a roof rack and spot light mount , also planned is a neat fitment i have made to allow the fitting of diving board to the top of the cab-
here,s a few lousy phone pics-
glad to be back on the tools with this build-alrthough it,s getting cold here-i,ve plenty of lo0gs laid in

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks