• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M925

wehring

Yuma

I will wrap up here in Yuma today so I travel back to TX in the morning so I get an extra day (Fri) on the truck. Can't wait.

I got the OK from Joe to keep the 8.3 but we did not discuss a price. :twisted: His comment was that it is hard to sell me something that I sold him because I know what he paid for it... the alternate plan is to let me get the idea fixed in my head, pull the motor, install the motor and THEN talk about the price because I am over a barrel. Gotta love him. :mrgreen:

I hope that this truck will generate the demand you guys are describing but I don't care to make a ton off of it. The final price will be derived from a time & materials calculation. Cost +15% for materials and $40hr for time. My true "payment" is the experience of the build. This truck came from Hawaii. I drove to TX from San Diego and now I am converting it into a unique piece and I have had a lot of fun with it.

My closure to this project will be a day of shooting a minigun, M2, M249 and M60 off of the LWS... naked.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Cummins

I cannot find a hard answer on the military 8.3 cummins. Does the engine in the M939A2 trucks share the same P7100 IP as the civilian counterparts? Are there any significant differences between the civ and gov 8.3s besides 24v to 24v?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

eldgenb

I cannot find a hard answer on the military 8.3 cummins. Does the engine in the M939A2 trucks share the same P7100 IP as the civilian counterparts? Are there any significant differences between the civ and gov 8.3s besides 24v to 24v?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
afaik the only difference between it and the civi p7100 is there is no fuel plate in the 8.3, there is a fuel rod that you can adjust instead. The plungers etc are the same. I have a pretty in depth knowledge of the dodge based pumps and by looking at some up close pics posted on gl they are not the same. I have seen those pumps on some of the late 80's early 90's internationals and there is a ton of info on turning those up on the web. And yeah at least put on a poncho for the pics:mrgreen:.

eldgenb

the one on the right is the more common dodge cummins p pump the other is the p pump on the mil 8.3's not to say you could not find one off of a later 8.3 and swap it out.

Attachments

mudguppy

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
... there is no fuel plate in the 8.3, there is a fuel rod that you can adjust instead. ...
really? how is max rack travel limited? is the 'fuel rod' not the same as the 'arm' on the 5.9's?

the one on the right is the more common dodge cummins p pump the other is the p pump on the mil 8.3's not to say you could not find one off of a later 8.3 and swap it out.
based on those pictures you posted, i'd say they look the same except for the AFC configuration - looks like the rear-mounted AFC would function the same; boost manipulated diaphram that uses a 'rod' to control rack movement (aka 'arm') versus the 'afc foot' that is directly over the 'arm'. so maybe this is the 'fuel rod' that you referred to?

give me one and i'm pretty confident i can figure out how to tune it.

eldgenb

really? how is max rack travel limited? is the 'fuel rod' not the same as the 'arm' on the 5.9's?

based on those pictures you posted, i'd say they look the same except for the AFC configuration - looks like the rear-mounted AFC would function the same; boost manipulated diaphram that uses a 'rod' to control rack movement (aka 'arm') versus the 'afc foot' that is directly over the 'arm'. so maybe this is the 'fuel rod' that you referred to?

give me one and i'm pretty confident i can figure out how to tune it.
arm...rod...foot... you knew what I meant:wink: on the 8.3 pump above there are two allen heads and some nuts that have to be loosened and adjusted below the caps. The rest of the pump is essentially the same. The reason I wanted to point out the difference is the TST kit mentioned above will not work on the 8.3 pump pictured if this is the same pump in the truck.

mudguppy

... The reason I wanted to point out the difference is the TST kit mentioned above will not work on the 8.3 pump pictured if this is the same pump in the truck.
good point, i thought about that but didn't mention it. i agree that the TST kit will likely not be of value since the AFC spring is likely different than on the 5.9 pumps.

so there is no fuel plate at all?

to stay on topic - i still vote 'no' to the 8.3 swap unless you are keeping the truck or plan to do more of these swaps in the future. that's too good of a truck to let go.

eldgenb

good point, i thought about that but didn't mention it. i agree that the TST kit will likely not be of value since the AFC spring is likely different than on the 5.9 pumps.

so there is no fuel plate at all?

to stay on topic - i still vote 'no' to the 8.3 swap unless you are keeping the truck or plan to do more of these swaps in the future. that's too good of a truck to let go.
I agree with Mudguppy, unless there is a significant financial gain from doing this swap I would try to rat hole it away for a keeper project.
As for the pump there is no "fuel plate" at all. I will try to find the youtube video that shows how to adjust the fuel rate for that pump.

eldgenb

As Promised at least I hope this link works.
Information found here.

This particular pump is explained under the "international DT466" section with links on timing, fuel etc and a great description of the pump.

wehring

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I am better understanding this motor due to your research.

As for the 8.3 in this truck, it is a go. This truck will be sold but I believe that this motor upgrade will serve the end user well. Saving ~1000# and increasing the power by ~60% will wake this truck up as much as removing 4000# of suspension and axle.

With 52" tires it will cruise 65mph at 2000rpm with power and rpms to spare.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

eldgenb

Thanks for the info guys. I am better understanding this motor due to your research.

As for the 8.3 in this truck, it is a go. This truck will be sold but I believe that this motor upgrade will serve the end user well. Saving ~1000# and increasing the power by ~60% will wake this truck up as much as removing 4000# of suspension and axle.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Sounds like a near perfect combination, I look forward to your input on the conversion, things like does it bolt in? How many hammers did I throw in the field during the process!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

housemover

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Sounds like I have you over a barrel now. LOL

nevrenufhp

As Promised at least I hope this link works.
Information found here.

This particular pump is explained under the "international DT466" section with links on timing, fuel etc and a great description of the pump.
Those are my videos and how-to's. As Mudguppy says, it's not going to have an MW pump, so the fuel and timing will be different. It will be as described in the 6BT Cummins section, and also the DT466 from 93-97. The 8.3 turns into a real animal with the fuel plate slid full forward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks