• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbed my m35a3 shortend stock bed on 14.20s

chess

hello all this is thread to my very own bobbed deuce. its an a3 has a bit over 12k miles runs great. i moved the rear axle about 14 inches and cut the bed down a little under 2 feet. i unbolted all the rear bumpstop, lights and lift up point cut the frame and made holes to put all that back together. then my fabricator cut the bed down and un did the rear part of the bed so he can clean reattach and weld it to the cut he did. its like if the factory would have did it. i put it on 14.20s xls they rub on the bed im going to lift the back and notch the support of the bed to take care of that. it runs really well i can do 50mph on the highway. still has the ctis but doesnt work well. does not to bad off road. i just need to spool the front and get hubs and a rear air locker if i decide to keep it. i used front spings both springs and truck came from tom in fontana. ill add more pics as i find a way to download them...

Attachments

plym49

Looks good. I like the way you held up the spring and brackets to fit them in place. And the frame cut looks really clean for having been done with an oxy-acetylene torch. Nice work.

chess

Thanks the guy doing it knows his stuff when it comes to working metal. And we put the spring on an existing rivet hole so we bolt it down then started drilling. I want to invest in a magnetic drill.

plym49

Thanks the guy doing it knows his stuff when it comes to working metal. And we put the spring on an existing rivet hole so we bolt it down then started drilling. I want to invest in a magnetic drill.
So there is a rivet hole in the right place for a spring perch for installing the axle such that you keep the stock (original length) drive shaft? Good to know!

Just noticed - is that dude using the torch without goggles? Or was that just for the photo?

Last edited:

chess

Actually i had to extend the shaft 10.5 inches i forgot to post that in the op. And i always tell him to wear Sunglasses he never does. And yes we should have cut the bed to where the 2nd to last canvas bow is. And the rivet hole is from the cross member that goes in front of the dual rear axle trunion. We took out those rivets so we know the springs will be squared.

Deucemedic

Just an odd ball question, what type of steel is the frame on an m35a2? I ask because after I bob mine out my buddy wants to make me a set of tool from the scrap (shovel ax prybar and machete). He needs to know the steel type to see if it can be done though. Any help would be great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks