• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobber w/ 101 bed

sermis

OK has anyone done a bobbed truck with a 101 bed. I am planning a bobbed truck and have a good 101 bed here. The bed is narrower and shorter than the 105 which would not need a longer drive shaft but would it look right on the truck? Also thought of some type of rail or step around the outside of the 101 to make it look wider. I have a lengthened driveshaft that will work with the 105 and have access to a couple fair 105 beds.
Which is a better idea?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dare to be different! If you don't like it change it later. I was just pondering the same idea while sitting in the woods today. I like the idea of an M116 bed and stake sides, might look cool.:wink:

sermis

Only problem with the 101 option is it would be 5" shorter than the 105 option so reverse engineering would be a pain.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about an M103 trailer bed, It should be the same size as a 105.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I dont think the 101 bed looks quite right, kinda like a big buffed out dude with skinny little legs. (not that I look at big buffed out dude's, I'm just sayin)

Blythewoodjoe

I would have made a set of fenders to match the front fenders on the truck I had if the 101 bed I had wasn't a rust bucket. I think it would have looked a lot like a M37 on steriods. If you have the truck and nothing on the back, set it on there and see what you think. I personally don't like the look of a M105 bed on the deuce. I don't like the way the fenders don't match. I had considered making a set of fenders for a M105 bed to match the front but the bed was too long for the stock driveshaft anyway. That's way I made a custom bed.

I did see a M101 variant that was supposed to be for the HMMWV that had little fender extentions that would have worked PERFECTLY. I bet those are hard to find.

wehring

Flares

Steve and i havd this same conversation. Use 1.5 DOM tubing and bend flares that match the contour of the whole side of the bed's bottom edge but stand it off 8" and fill the rest in with plate. This will give you a walk way around your bed and fill it out to match the front fenders.

Justin

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Driveshafts for bobbed trucks are pretty expensive found out after bobbing mine.The tube is an odd size.
are you sure the guy at the shaft shop wasnt just trying to make more money off of you?? i have chopped up bout 10 deuce shafts over the years makin shafts for mud trucks. i got all my stuf and a few lengths of tube from a local spice dealer and the prices seemed decent to me

donkdonk

Driveshafts for bobbed trucks are pretty expensive found out after bobbing mine.The tube is an odd size.
You are looking in the wrong place. Look in the phone book for a driveshaft company in your area, there should be multiple. I have done 4 of them at 2 different places and the price ranges from $100-125. You just take yours in and tell them how long you want it and they shorten/lengthen it.