• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BOBBING A M211?

SWATTER

I'M NEW TO THE WORLD OF MILITARY VEHICLES AND I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. I FOUND A REAL STRAIGHT 1952 M211, IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS BOBBED ONE OF THESE? WHAT ARE SOME PITFALLS TO WATCH FOR OR IS IT JUST NOT POSSIBLE? I KNOW IT WILL BE DIFFICULT BECAUSE OF THE RADIUS ROD TYPE REARS AND THE UNUSUAL REAR SPRING ARRANGEMENT. I WAS THINKING OF USING THE INVERTED FRONT REAR SPRING AND JUST FLIPPING IT OVER AND JUST REMOVING THE REARMOST AXLE. CAN YOU CHANGE THE REARS TO SINGLE REAR WHEELS BY ADAPTERS OR WHEEL CHANGES? IF I CAN NOT SHORTEN IT AND RUN SINGLES IT WILL BE USELESS TO ME AND SHE WILL JUST SIT OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A CORN FIELD, BUT SHE IS OH SOOO SWEET.
ANY GUIDANCE OR THOUGHTS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its a nice truck, it would suck to cut it up(I guess hacked trucks have to come from somewhere :twisted: ). Better off getting a set of front springs to use on the rear single axle.

jeli

Welcome swatter. Get a set of std springs. Fronts off another 211 might be tough to get. Not sure if M35 fronts would work. If you need a stricker for your torch let me know. Paint it candy apple with crushed velvet interior. Maybe some dingle balls over the windshield!!!!

SWATTER

I AGREE, I'M KINDA OF A PURIST AT HEART. THE PRICE SEEMS GOOD, BETTER THAN I HAVE SEEN ANY COMPARABLE M35'S PRICED AT. WHAT IF I JUST KEPT IT TANDEM AXEL, BUT WENT WITH "SUPER SINGLES" ON THE REAR? IS THERE A OUTFIT THAT MAKES/SELLS THE WHEELS OR WOULD I HAVE TO BUILD MY OWN. IF SOMEONE KNOWS OF REASONABLE PRICED RUNNING M35 I WOULD SWAP LOCATION INFO. THE OLD M211 SPORTS ORIGINAL PAINT AND HOOD NUMBERS, BIG WINCH IN THE BED NOT( ATTACHED) AND ONLY HAS BEEN MOLESTED BY THE ADDITION OF A COBBED HARD TOP.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Swatter!

I have a really nice M211. I haven't got her running or road worthy yet, but she is as straight as the day she came off the assembly line. I would hate to see one cut up, as the M211 in good shape is much rarer then the M35, but then there are some who hate to see an M35 cut down. To each his own I say.

The front spring set up on the rears seems to be the easiest way.

badgmc56

As I have said before, solid, clean and unmolested post war GMCs are getting rarer all the time. If you have a solid truck it would be a huge mistake to cut it up. I would go with the singles and keep the rest original. There are plenty of other candidates to cut up if you choose.

pa.rich

I agree with the other posters. These M211's are not as common as the m35's. They eventually will be more valuble in my opinion. Dont butcher it, sell it and take the money and buy a m35A. I have one of these and they are a unique truck.Not many left as the m35a's. To answer your question about the singles. I think you can do a hub flip on the rears and it will be as a M135 is. Correct me if I am wrong guys.The M135 is the same cab and chassis with a narrower box on it and singles with 1100-20's on them. Chime in guys, isnt this true?

SWATTER

THANKS ,BEGINING TO SEE THE LIGHT....EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE, BUT WHAT IS A "HUB FLIP" SHE WOULD STILL LOOK REAL GOOD AND BE ROADWORTHY WITH SUPER SINGLES....I LIKE IT.

citizensoldier

heheheh

jeli said:
Welcome swatter. Get a set of std springs. Fronts off another 211 might be tough to get. Not sure if M35 fronts would work. If you need a stricker for your torch let me know. Paint it candy apple with crushed velvet interior. Maybe some dingle balls over the windshield!!!!
jeli ! I never wanted to be a radiator more in my life!! Love that avatar..
:funny:

stephenfeldmeier

RE: heheheh

Just got back from vacation and hopefully I'm not too late to give my two sense worth.

Bobbing a M211 would be equivalent to bobbing a Ford Pinto, Looks might be there buts thats it. 1st lets look to see what the M211 does not have to be a cool bobbed truck.

1) the power plant, its a 302 with a quiet exhaust, as the radiator fan makes more noise then the engine it self so the noise factor is zero.
2) the exhaust is virtually invisible, no heavy black smoke when you put the coal to her, so visual effect of power is zero
3) the looks of the M211 is like looking at a B-17, even though the B-17 was a great war machine, her beauty masked over her al-some punch that she delivered, so the look of fear, I have to rate that a 3.

If you need a truck to bobbed, get a multi-fuel. The noise, the smoke, and the look of destruction is all wrapped up in one.

SWATTER

RE: heheheh

Well it took about two weeks for me to decide that I should probably buy this old gal (1952 M211) , went back to see how good she really ran etc. and she was gone. I apparently have been infected withthe M.V virus. So,I am still shopping. Thanks to Jatonka for the friendly advice. Several of you live close by and maybe we can met down the trail. stephenfeldmeier, Gillette, Wyo. is a beautiful place, hunted near there a few years back....didn't wanna leave.

joec

Re: RE: heheheh

SWATTER said:
Well it took about two weeks for me to decide that I should probably buy this old gal (1952 M211) , went back to see how good she really ran etc. and she was gone. I apparently have been infected withthe M.V virus. So,I am still shopping. Thanks to Jatonka for the friendly advice. Several of you live close by and maybe we can met down the trail. stephenfeldmeier, Gillette, Wyo. is a beautiful place, hunted near there a few years back....didn't wanna leave.

Plenty of M35's to cut up. Pm me i can hook you up with one cheap. PA Philly area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks