• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing Deuce - - Use T-case?

Foxon

Hello all, Looking for a bit of help here:

I have a duece all stripped down and bobbed. Im swapping everything out to drop in a big block gas motor (w trans) and 12v wiring (building a monster mudder).

1)Im stuck to use the stock Duece (air shift t-case) or use the one from big block 3/4 ton power train??

2) Obviously the duece case is stronger, but to make it work (air???) is it worth the trouble?

3) super heavy( is the weight worth it)? Actual reduction (gearing)??

4) What does the air supply actually do??

5) Can I build something to lock it into 4 low and keep it there?

I just cant seem to pull up any specs or facts on the case......

Any info is greatly appreciated and valued!! Thnkx

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Deuce one is awful strong
2. I think so. If you have the air to engage the front axle, you have air for tools and tires
3. 573 lbs in shipping crate. 1:1 in high, 2:1 in low
4. Engages piston for front axle engagement
5. Sure........... lock the shift lever shaft into low

Specs......... do a search for T136-27.

sp00n

The high and low selections are done with a lever (no air involved). The air shift part is to engage and disengage the front axle. I'm sure with enough tinkering you could permanently lock the front axle, but it would be easier to just use an NP205 case. You probably wont be able to use the factory drive shafts anyway, might as well get a different case.

Foxon

Okay, awesome. I am fully aware and ready to fab driveshafts. It was the weight of the stock case and the "air shift" that making me wander if its worth using it. I just dont want its replacement to be my weakest link.... I also thought the stocks "low" range might have been more desirable.

mudguppy

nope - might as well use a 205 and sell the transfer to someone that would actually desire it.

better yet, why not sell the entire frame/chassis/power train as a complete assembly and take the deuce cab and put on a set of straight frame rails? seems that's the only thing you're after is the deuce 'look' for a mud truck. you can find rockwell axles from anywhere.

Foxon

Actually, rockwells are very hard to find up here in Canada. The truck came from the states. I need the title and GVW to keep it street legal. Dont get me wrong, I loved everything about the truck but I cant get the rev's/power out of the existing power train to turn the big rubber and fling mud.

Myopic

Is this real?

I'm not sure what Tcase you have, but its prolly the same low range ratio - 2-1 as the rockwell.

By the way Welcome to the forum...

Foxon

Lol?? I have access to a couple of old trucks/powertrains. All old big block trucks 2wd and 4wd , Ford and Chevy. I just need to decide of what I am going to do with the stock t-case.

I have seen alot of cool bobbed dueces on the site that all look amazing. Instead of using the stock location of the back diff, I have shortened the truck another 16" beyond that. I have made spring perches and using a softer spring out of a F250.

Flat Black

Deuce case is strong, but its also massive and heavy and 50 year old technology and only has 2:1 reduction. Sell it or scrap it and get an NP205, Atlas or one ton truck case (NV261/3 or NV271/3). They hold up to boosted four wheel drive launches in diesel drag trucks with 800+ HP.

Everything has limits so if you are running an alky motor making 1000hp with 63" rice and cane tires, you are going to break all of those cases sooner or later and would need something like a pro-fab. (You did not give specs on your mud build that I saw)

bill2444

The trick set up would be a 205/203 doubler. strong and a lot of low gears. If you were closer I would trade you cases, but sounds like you should have that covered.

Foxon

Thanks FlatBlack, that is the direction I was looking for.

Bill2444 I do head to Minneapolis occasionally if that was close enough?? I have access to stock cases (NP205's), but if you had aftermarket goodies, like gear reduciton kit I would be interested.

Myopic

if thats the case( short w/b) a married t-case would probably be best. what's the wheelbase on yours? Can you post some pictures when your done? Haven't seen any real short deuces.

On board air is great to have and worth doing. If you cant adapt the original one to your motor,you can get a York ac compressor and run it for air. Install a air tank somewhere. It pumps plenty of air for air tools. Google York on board air and you'll find more info on them.

Foxon

Yes. There is a pile of room under the deuce hood. Was even looking at the option of running 2 t-cases (stock and np205) but might be close. I had the wheel base scribbled down here somewhere I will try find it. The truck is beside my garage in over 3 feet of snow , so I can really get a tape measure on it right now......lol. The "warmer" weather is starting to come so it got me itchy to get back building again. I will post some pictures soon. I love the look of the bobbed ones, just thought it would look even cooler and unporportional even shorter. Im not builiding an extreme (1000hp) mud truck , would love to still throw a set of 1600/20's on and still be legit to cruise the streets. Kind of a best of both worlds kind of truck??? We dont have the organized offroad clubs and events like you guys do..... I had onboard Air on a crawler Jeep I built and drove, its an awesome option to have when needed. But havent thought about it on the deuce yet.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Two pages and nobody asked how you plan on stopping the truck? Might be hard with out compressed air to run the air pack, or did I miss a post? Your prolly gonna need air.

Last edited:

Foxon

I will probably be posting the T-case in the classified section in a month or 2. I realize shipping it from Mb, Canada will be pretty crazy??? I do head to Minneapolis on occasion and could bring it down.

Ya the air is making more sense now, or fab up a brake booster driven by engine vacuum/hydraulics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add a compressor, makes great sense for a lot of ways. the NP 205 with the 203 reduction box makes plenty of sense too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks