• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobtail Offroad Capability

missouri dave

Hope I have this in the right place. What are the off road capabilities of the bobtail deuce vs a standard deuce? Also, is it possible to mount a tommy gate on a deuce? Thanks for the help.

dezert ratt

I'm guessing you mean a "bobber" vs a standard 6x6 deuce. A 6x6 will out offroad a bobber, but a bobber Will be lighter and have a tighter turning radius. Each truck has it's advantages, mostly it is your preferance and what you are doing with the truck.

ke5eua

If we are talking about a bobbed deuce then the carry capacity should be roughly half of a dual axle.

You have to consider when the vehicle was designed it was designed to carry 2.5 tons off road and 5 tons on highway with dual axles, dual wheels, and the springs it came with.

Now, take out one axle, put single tires and change the spring pack. You just took out half of its designed load handling equipment.

Edit:

Even when singling a duel wheel deuce you loose a little carry capacity. Unless you are keeping the same width of the dual tires combined then the surface contact will be decreased.

dezert ratt

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399834504.902955.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399834548.993222.jpg
A bobber has 2 axles= less articulation and less traction.
Standard truck has 3 axles and more tire contact area, more articulation and traction

ke5eua

My mistake on the terminology. Yes I meant the bobber. And thanks.
Then 1/2 for carrying capacity and however deep your pockets are for installing a lift gate.

The frame can support the full weight but it's the axles, spring packs, and tire configuration that plays a big part in how much you are going to safely carry.

dezert ratt

If we are talking about a bobbed deuce then the carry capacity should be roughly half of a dual axle.

You have to consider when the vehicle was designed it was designed to carry 2.5 tons off road and 5 tons on highway with dual axles, dual wheels, and the springs it came with.

Now, take out one axle, put single tires and change the spring pack. You just took out half of its designed load handling equipment.

Edit:

Even when singling a duel wheel deuce you loose a little carry capacity. Unless you are keeping the same width of the dual tires combined then the surface contact will be decreased.
Depending on what Tires you use. A 395 size tire is approx 12k pounds capacity per tire. So depending on what rim and tire you use when singling it out, you may have the same carrying capacity.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PCtrans may still have a deuce equipped with a factory liftgate. They are out there and very practical.

ke5eua

Depending on what Tires you use. A 395 size tire is approx 12k pounds capacity per tire. So depending on what rim and tire you use when singling it out, you may have the same carrying capacity.
Not necessarily. The tire can handle it but the hub design plays the factor here. The hub was designed to spread the load across the width of the duals. Now take the duals out, flip the hub and put a smaller width single tire on it. You put more strain on the outer bearing when you try to keep the full load.

That is why there is a difference between singles, and super singles. Super singles allow you to maintain the same width configuration for load distribution.

ke5eua

Same principle applies to this. Just because I put a 16 ply 12k tire on my F250 doesn't mean I can put 12k in the bed.

dezert ratt

Not necessarily. The tire can handle it but the hub design plays the factor here. The hub was designed to spread the load across the width of the duals. Now take the duals out, flip the hub and put a smaller width single tire on it. You put more strain on the outer bearing when you try to keep the full load.

That is why there is a difference between singles, and super singles. Super singles allow you to maintain the same width configuration for load distribution.

It all depends what you do with it. I'm not a fan of flipping the hubs and like the dish out look, also yes flipping the hubs puts more strain on the hub bearings. Another thing is, once you put bigger singles on a stock 140 hp multi fuel deuce.. How much weight are you really gonna be carrying? From what I am seeing most deuces that are being worked, are being run on stock sized tires with duels.

dezert ratt

Same principle applies to this. Just because I put a 16 ply 12k tire on my F250 doesn't mean I can put 12k in the bed.
Very true. This is why I said keeping the stock towing/ carrying capacity. All I stated was what the tires capacity is, and not anything about the truck being able to tow/ carry more weight. I just wanted to clarify what I meant.

ke5eua

It all depends what you do with it. I'm not a fan of flipping the hubs and like the dish out look, also yes flipping the hubs puts more strain on the hub bearings. Another thing is, once you put bigger singles on a stock 140 hp multi fuel deuce.. How much weight are you really gonna be carrying? From what I am seeing most deuces that are being worked, are being run on stock sized tires with duels.
True true. Just want to give the OP as much information as possible, don't know what is overall plan is.

I'm a purist when it comes to MV's. Only thing I would probably change is the alternator for a higher output, other than that, keep it stock.

OP, you just have to figure out what you are wanting to do. Are you wanting to go mud bogging, use it on the farm, or parade duty.

ke5eua

Very true. This is why I said keeping the stock towing/ carrying capacity. All I stated was what the tires capacity is, and not anything about the truck being able to tow/ carry more weight. I just wanted to clarify what I meant.
Oh I know, just figured I'd throw a little dry humor in here.

We had a similar problem when I deployed my first time. Had a bunch of 105 trailers and the operators thought they increase the load capacity by putting duals on them. So after about three broken axles they finally listened to us the mechanics.

dezert ratt

Haha I just was having a discussion about putting 395's on a m105. Other than looking cool, you really lose capacity by having tire rub issues. IMO if you want max capacity for something, keep it original from the manufacturer.

welldigger

Rest assured if you are running 395s or 14.00-20s your load carrying capacity is not limited by the tires and wheels on a bobber. It's the springs and axles themselves.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing you mean a "bobber" vs a standard 6x6 deuce. A 6x6 will out offroad a bobber, but a bobber Will be lighter and have a tighter turning radius. Each truck has it's advantages, mostly it is your preferance and what you are doing with the truck.
Thats funny, last year on the trails at the 2013 SS the 2 1/2 ton 6x6 guys would not follow me where i went.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks