• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Body panel stands made from 3/4" conduit

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made these stands out of 3/4" conduit. Each piece was left 10' long.

The bends started at 36" from the ends. Starting the bend at 36" makes the overall height 42". When you open the stands the working height is actually closer to 32-34" depending on how wide you open them.

The pivot is 1/4" carriage bolt drilled at 22" from each end.

The hold open is made from eye bolts. I twisted them open in the vise with an adjustable wrench. The chain is 10" long. The eye bolts are mounted at 33" from the ends. I used one short eye bolt and one long one. I wanted to use the long one as an adjustment, but did not really need it. I also used small loop 1/8" chain for more adjustment. I will use large loop 3/16 chain next time. I do not need the extra links and it is too hard to get both ends on the same link. Longer links would alleviate this problem.

You can see I really wanted to weld something. I thought about welding one end of the chain to the conduit and saving an eye bolt. For this set everything is bolted using nylon lock nuts.

I also added 3/4" pipe insulation to protect my body parts form scratching. I wrapped the ends with electrical tape and then did a spiral wrap every 2" or so to keep it together. It would be better if the pipe insulation was not split the entire length.

I will add rubber caps for feet.

I spent less than $20 for 4 pieces of conduit, insulation, bolts, chain and eye bolts.

My M211 fenders are ready for primer.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, those are sweet. If I could offer a suggestion, the legs under the pivots would also benefit from some extension chains to keep from bending (splaying out)at the inherint weak points below the hinge when under load.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I'm going to pick up a pair of 12" shelf brackets to mount a few inches below the ceiling. It will keep them up out of the way when not in use.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. that was the fox and the racoon. The coyote was taken in by 300win mag in the first valley at Dad's. I took it to the taxidermist along wth $450 and said "Whatever you do, don't put it on a piece of wood and please, please take out some of that extra hide, especially around the neck. Pull it tight. Make it look like one of them pencil neck southwestern coyotes. Then I said whatever you do, don't even think about showing its good side. I want its head facing into the corner. I want it so everyone looks at it's tail. Point the nose right into the corner of the room. Make it so I have to put it on a different corner than what I asked. I really want it to cover at least half of the window. You know, so the sun will bleach only part of it. Whatever you do make its eyes really big and round. Give it that holy crap startled look. And don't forget to tell me you gave it some 'attitude' when I pick it up."

And Oh yea, I want the hair to start falling out right away, not later.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update:
The stands are working very well. They held a lot of big tin without issue.
The only modification was spiral wrapped electrical tape. The foam kept opening at the seam without it. No problems since. Also used a pair of shelf brackets to hang them up on the wall when not in use.
The only other thing would be big rubber feet.

-Dan

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks