• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolster Trailer questions

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the origional pourpose of a bolster trailer. Whats it made to haul..?

Thanks,
Don

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Telephone Poles. But it does a really good job of carrying 4x8 sheets of plywood as well, they fit perfectly on the deck.
James

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks James, I was looking to haul a 308 gal diesel tank and mount a 5kw Mep unit. Whats your opinion for this application...?

pmramsey

The fuel tank and gen-set is a good idea though it is a bit of overkill and does not have a cover. It carries a 12-foot container on the deck. In fact, there are rails that slide out the rear for winching the container onto the deck. There are three "bolsters" that fit over the container at the front, middle, and rear and can be ratchet chained to the frame. The tongue can be pulled out another 12-feet. Attached is how I use one of several that I own. It has a 20-foot aluminum bed from a 5-ton truck. The folding sides make an excellent field trailer

Attachments

pmramsey

I believe you could use a mechanical landing gear. Don't you just love this stuff. Anything goes until the ideas and the money runs out.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My understanding was the bolster was for assault pipe which is kinda OBE in todays operating environment.

I was just wondering about putting a deuce bed on one and now we have a thread. Must have been the mental telepathy thing.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In WW2 it hauled pontoons and bolt-together bridge structures, the bolster trailer has been built in many styles, from a single axle with a single bunk (cradle) to present, you can find them in the civi world with 4 and 5 axles and other trick set ups where thay are used to haul heavy, 100' plus loads. In logging, we used 2 axle, single bunk, sliding reach (draw bar, tongue), on normal log loads, the reach connected to the back of the truck, on long logs,(60' or longer) the reach was chained to the load

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, I also have a 20' military ballistic armourd container self contained for 2 men. since it is expandable what are your thoughts on the trailer for hauling, It is standard ISO..?

pmramsey

Thank you, I also have a 20' military ballistic armourd container self contained for 2 men. since it is expandable what are your thoughts on the trailer for hauling, It is standard ISO..?
The photos posted above are of a 20-foot aluminum truck bed mounted on the bolster. Certainly a 20-foot box could be mounted but there are other trailers that would work better for the box. Not to mention the weight limit of the trailer.

See the MCT200 trailer below. It comes with the corner locks for a container. NOT a fifth-wheel and uses eight 16 x 85 x 235 G rated tires. The brakes are all air.

I am mounting the USMC freezer unit on the trailer for use in the field. The design is set up for a 10KW to nest in the cage. However, this unit never used a 10 KW, it used a one-cylinder Thermo King freezer unit mounted on the box. I hope to have it up and running by summer.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am impressed with the set up, what are you going to use it for, you must need freezer space. Where can I get the same trailer..? I saw one on GL a few months ago and it went for $1,800.00 wich I thought was an excellent deal.

pmramsey

I am impressed with the set up, what are you going to use it for, you must need freezer space. Where can I get the same trailer..? I saw one on GL a few months ago and it went for $1,800.00 wich I thought was an excellent deal.
The bought the freezer unit from GL at Portsmouth last November. I paid $1500 plus bid fee. It is in excellent condition except for the rear doors that have bent rods in the doors which I have since fixed.

Be patient. The trailers come up several times each year. There were two on the auction at Meade last fall. It is well worth the wait. I paid $883.99 for the trailer last year. The tires were 80% and no dry rot.

I am a commercial beekeeper. WE process the honey n the field and the military stuff was made for such field operations. After we extract the honey from the honey supers, we freeze them for several days before placing them back into the field on the bee colonies. This kills and bugs that may have taken root while the bees are absent to police the unwanted bugs. We freeze everything again before storing away for the winter. The last loading of a freezer becomes the winter storage after several days of frerzing. Now you know far more than you probably wanted to know about honey production and processing.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PMRamsey, is the trailer your talking about able to haul a 75 hp farm tractor. Could you build a deck over the tires. I need to build something like that to move my tractor around. Someday I'm going to keep some bees [hobby]. Thanks

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By far, I am up on the bee situation, I am allergic myself. Thanks for your time and effort. If by chance you see another trailer like your please let me know, Thanks man

Don

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for a 20 container trailer w/pins, would need a double axel set up. Does anyone have any suggestions.......?

pmramsey

what are the steel bars on the bed of the bolster trailer used for? They have a designated resting place till needed for?
They are ramps that attach to the rear of the trailer for dragging small containers, etc. onto the trailer. They are otherwise, totally useless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks