• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt Size???

bus63kombi

Can someone please tell me what size/thread/grade the starter bolt is.

As I was starting to get ready to put my freshly rebuilt starter in I looked at one of the bolts and it didn't look right. I was broken. This is the second time this has happened. When I first go the truck a bolt broke out. That was a 4 month project to get it out. Long story. Then My starter frys itself and I get it rebuilt and another bolt broken. So now is the fun task of getting the broken bolt end out of the block!!!
This is maddening. Third starter and second broken starter bolt. WHAT THE HECK.

O well. Just hope when I get this done I don't have to look at the starter for a long time!!!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using the small L-shaped brace that bolts to the block at the front of the starter?
If not the starter will twist and snap bolts. And sometimes the block.

devilman96

A suggestion... I think your already heading in this direction but I will post it for the next guy to read...

I don't own a CUCV but I work on a lot of equipment and deal with a lot of fasteners that get high torque loads put on them. My number one rule for fasteners in these situations is when they come out under no circumstance do they get put back in... I always go back with ALL new stuff... bolts, nuts, lock and flat washers and almost always with grade 8 hardware... The results of not doing this are just as your finding out... a huge pain in the arse!

bus63kombi

I finally got the broken bolt head out of my block last night, I have to get the new bolts today.
What is the exactly Size/Thread I need to get for my CUCV.
Thanks

Timbojackson

I Just purchased my first CUCV m1009 . It was missing starter and bolts. I purchased 10mm 110 length grade 8 i think. Mine may be different then yours as part of the block was cracked and I think someone put helicoils in, But could be a place to start.

Timbojackson

I purchased 120mm lenght first and they were a bit to long, The supplier i went to only had 110 although I was going to try to get 115mm. They let me return the 120mm, so they may let you try some out and bring back what doesn't work

dilvoy

The correct bolts should be knurled where they come in contact with the holes in the starter that they pass through. This makes it a tight fit and a little more difficult to start the threads, but makes for a slop free installation. The dealer should be the best place to get these. I have heard that the diesel starter bolts are different from gassers too. AM General did a lot of work in this area. They constantly upgraded the starter bolts in the Humvees and Hummers and although this bolt breakage problem is not unheard of, it is a rare occurance on these vehicles. They used washers to go along with the bolts.

ida34

The starter bolts are standard GM starter bolts and is available in the Motormite Help line of stuff at most local auto parts stores. Use the correct bolts designed for the task for the reasons already stated. I know my local auto parts store has them. If you have no luck there check the LMC truck catalog.

ultim8gamr

ken said:
Are you using the small L-shaped brace that bolts to the block at the front of the starter?
If not the starter will twist and snap bolts. And sometimes the block.
One of my starter bolts just broke and the other was tweaked at the threads so i replaced both. When i removed the starter there was no L bracket in the front, is this something found on civvy models too? i know im gonna need it to prevent this from happening again but dont know where to find it. Starter is now bolted back on i just would like to find the L bracket soon

ultim8gamr

Is the bracket for the 24v starter the same size? im not sure how the size comparison is between the 12v and 24v models. Does anyone have one that they would be willing to sell or know of a seller/distributor? Does anyone have a picture of it under their truck for reference?

peyton

ultim8gamr said:
Is the bracket for the 24v starter the same size? im not sure how the size comparison is between the 12v and 24v models. Does anyone have one that they would be willing to sell or know of a seller/distributor? Does anyone have a picture of it under their truck for reference?
I wonder about the size comparison too. Anybody know?

In the civilian world, the 6.2 engine had 2 different brackets depending on whether the starter was the old style or the smaller gear-drive style. The Chev dealer can furnish either (<$3 for old style, somewhat more for the new style).

Peyton

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks