• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolt under throttle pedal?

racer-xerols

My Deuce has a bolt under the throttle pedal, sort of a manual throttle stop it looks like. It's over an inch long, sticking straight up out of the floorboard, and limits me to about 1" or less of pedal travel. Is this right? Or should there be more travel available (i.e. to the floorboard)? It's a '70 with a non-whistler Multi, if that makes a difference...

racer-xerols

Heheh...that's funny, 2600 in 5th. Best I've seen out of it, I was watching MPH and not RPMs, but on a straight flat highway I saw about 45mph. Flat out.

I guess I can adjust it for redline in 5th...or will it hurt it to just remove the bolt? Can it "over-open" the throttle?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
trace the linkage and you should see a cam like assembly. if you remove the stop i bet you will "cam over" the assembly and have a runaway engine that will self destruct. Leave the stop alone until you have checked filters aircleaner etc.
Just my two cents worth.... and by the way...i read that somewhere on this site and it made perfect sense to me, I am by no means an expert.

Jake0147

Right in this forum is a much better, more technical explanation. I remember it, it's not that old, but I can't find it. :oops: Adjusting the bolt isn't the solution for more throttle. The pedal throw is short, but the short throw still pulls the injection pump to "wide open", after that if you cause any additional pedal throw, it's just compressing a spring.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is there so the pump doesn't get messed up. Have someone step on the gas...with the engine off. See if the pump mounted lever goes to the stop and "breaks over", meaning, the spring will compress a bit. It just makes it bit easier on the internals of the pump, and, when you have your foot on the floor, in rough conditions, it makes it so there is a little no loss of RPM and forward momentum and there will be no "jerking" motions. Make sense? There is also another reason...but CRS is having it's way, and, I can't think of it right now :cry:

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor on my truck is set at 2900rpm. The TM's tell me to check this with the truck in neturel and to slowley bring up the rpm and see if it will reach between 2850-2900. I perfer to do it with a load so I pick a up grade hill in my yard put it in first gear and hold it to the floor. This could be checked in any gear but by useing first low range things are kept more in control and I can focus on the tack instead of the road. My red line sticker is right on at 2600 and I like to cruse at 2300-2400.

Jakob

Re: RE: Bolt under throttle pedal?

WillWagner said:
It is there so the pump doesn't get messed up. Have someone step on the gas...with the engine off. See if the pump mounted lever goes to the stop and "breaks over", meaning, the spring will compress a bit. It just makes it bit easier on the internals of the pump, and, when you have your foot on the floor, in rough conditions, it makes it so there is a little no loss of RPM and forward momentum and there will be no "jerking" motions. Make sense? There is also another reason...but CRS is having it's way, and, I can't think of it right now :cry:
That reason makes perfect sense to me. Seems like a way to "GI" proof the throttle.

racer-xerols

RE: Re: RE: Bolt under throttle pedal?

This all makes perfect sense. Believe me, I'm not looking to race the thing...I just wanted to make sure it hadn't been "safetied" at half throttle or something silly. Now I know where to look, I'll check the linkage at the pump. The truck lives in the mountains and on the few-and-far-between fuel runs I'd like to have a little more oomph going up the hills so I don't hold up traffic *too* much.

Thanks for the information!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Bolt under throttle pedal?

if you are in mountains, forget about speed. these trucks are afraid of hills. to check the high idle as it is usually called, just put it in neutral and bring it up to full throttle. dont go past 2900 rpm though as it should go on the govenor by then. i have mine set at 2550 so the engine will last.