• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bolting NV4500 to multifuel?

Nothing wrong with my transmission in my Deuce, I was just curious if a NV4500 could be bolted to a multifuel and work with the rest of the driveline in a Deuce with the correct bellhousing. I could never see replacing the multifuel in my Deuce with another engine (can't get enough of that sound), but if something were to go wrong with the transmission, would a NV4500 be a good alternative?

Just curious.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
can't see any advantage. if anything were ever to go wrong with your trans, it is a cheap fix and there are many around.

tom

mudguppy

even with the correct clutch housing adapter (which i'm not sure exists in SAE pattern) and doing a GM style fixed-yoke tailshaft conversion the NV will still be 3"+ longer than the Spicer trans. you cannot make that 3" up in the jack-shaft.

so, basically the answer is 'no' because it won't physically fit without relocating the transfer.

what are the advantages? i see 2: reliability and OD. i trust my NV4500 much more than i trust the 60 year old Spicer. the OD ratio is 0.73. it isn't quite the 0.69 ratio of the kit, but a rebuilt NV4500 in the correct configuration can be had for the same amount of money as the 0.69 kit.

to make one fit:
  1. locate an SAE #3 clutch housing or make a custom engine adapter in the Dodge Cummins bolt pattern (plus custom flywheel to use Cummins clutch)
  2. relocate transfercase rearward
  3. build custom jackshaft
  4. convert to hydraulic clutch
  5. add custom clutch pedal
  6. make a new shifter
  7. cut a new hole in trans floor cover
obstacles relative to above:
  1. not sure if this exists or will be expensive
  2. PITA plus drive shaft mod expenses
  3. expensive (trust me on this one)
  4. not a problem
  5. PITA
  6. not a problem
  7. not a problem
overall, not worth it to gain a little bit of reliability without changing out the most unreliable part - the MF.