• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bone headed Winch move

Rellim4560

Ok I did something silly and need some help. I was winding the slack out of my winch cable after using it and ended up winding it to tight. :cry: I pop the shear pin so there should be no damage to the winch but it pulled the chain end tight on the shackles. The problem seems to be now that there is tension on the winch the out side clutch is stuck in limbo and wont go in or out. I have new shear pin ordered and was wondering what to do when they get in.

So far my thoughts are to cut a shackle with a torch and release the pressure and hope the winch lever will un-jam

or

Put a new shear pin in and see if i can loosen the tension by slipping the clutch with the winch in reverse.

Anyone have any suggestions or input.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
turn the input shaft on the winch by hand to back it off.
:ditto:

Go ahead and put a bolt in the shear pin hole temporarily. With the PTO in neutral, try and turn the winch driveshaft backwards with a pipe wrench or you may can use a punch through the u-joint. If you back the band brake off a little it should help you turn the driveshaft a little easier.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DO as DAVE said, now think what would have happened with a BOLT installed instead of a SHEAR PIN

KsM715

Take the broken shear pin out. Cut it in half, put a wooden dowel inside the shaft and reinstall the two halfs so the still engage the yolk half of the drive shaft. Then you can back it off. Should be able to just put it in reverse and back it off just enough to take the tension out and get the hook off the shackles then you'll have to un-wind (by hand, free-wheel the drum, if it were me) and see if you damaged the cable.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cable looks like it needs a good rewind anyways.

I've pulled the same boneheaded move before.

I did what m16ty said.

It looks to have sheared the hairpin clip also, and spread the shackle wider. You may need to press it back together to get a new clip in there.

ODdave

:ditto:

Go ahead and put a bolt in the shear pin hole temporarily. With the PTO in neutral, try and turn the winch driveshaft backwards with a pipe wrench or you may can use a punch through the u-joint. If you back the band brake off a little it should help you turn the driveshaft a little easier.
Make shure to take that bolt out when your done,
(Guess who's winch posed for the pics?????)

Attachments

steelandcanvas

I helped somebody with this before. Punch one of the clevis pins out and be done with it. Secure the chain and cable to the bumper with a tie-down strap. We just had a loud "pop" and that was it. By the way it takes two to properly operate a winch, one in the cab, and one on the ground.

rrrr

You are going to have to take tension off the drum before the clutch will be free enough so you can move it. That means you might have to tighten it a bit to get the slack to release the clutch. Put a bolt into the shear pin area and use a wrench ! Do not use the trucks power to do this, use a big wrench. You will need two people. One person to apply some tension and the other to be working on the clutch lever. Once you have the clutch released remove the bolt from the shaft. Use a large tie down strap and attach it to the chain and see if you can loosen it with the strap.

When I'm done using the winch I roll the final few feet by hand to avoid doing this. I have gotten one a little too tight as well. aua

Last edited:

Rellim4560

I want to thank everyone for the feed back. I will be tackling it this weekend depending on work but I will try to back it off the input shaft by hand tonight. To answer some of the questions It did pull the right shackle hard and stretched it out. I have tried punching out the shackle pins and it appears there is to much pressure on them to budge.

I called the place order the new shear pins from and the new should be in tomorrow. I like the wooden dowel idea KsM715 for a temporary pin but I m a little weary of using a bolt since seeing how tight things got with the normal pin.

I will let everyone know how it works out and again thank you for all the ideas guys. ;)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If one or both shackles are DEFORMED, you might as well just cut then as a deformed shackle should NOT be reused

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to have to take tension off the drum before the clutch will be free enough so you can move it. That means you might have to tighten it a bit to get the slack to release the clutch. Put a bolt into the shear pin area and use a wrench ! Do not use the trucks power to do this, use a big wrench. You will need two people. One person to apply some tension and the other to be working on the clutch lever. Once you have the clutch released remove the bolt from the shaft. Use a large tie down strap and attach it to the chain and see if you can loosen it with the strap.
I know you probably want to be helpful but... you are coming up with someting that makes no sense....(to me at least) AFTER the correct procedure has already been posted!?
The clutch dogs are undercut. The more tension you put on the drum by turning the driveshaft (with a wrench or not) the lesser the chance to be able to disengage that clutch.

G.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, lots of information for a really simple procedure. Install new shear pin, engage PTO in reverse and slowly let out the clutch. Afterwards you can assess further damage and replacement of parts. Why go through all those other steps?

rrrr

I know you probably want to be helpful but... you are coming up with someting that makes no sense....(to me at least) AFTER the correct procedure has already been posted!?
The clutch dogs are undercut. The more tension you put on the drum by turning the driveshaft (with a wrench or not) the lesser the chance to be able to disengage that clutch.

G.
It might not be as simple as that. There might be internal damage.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I have tried punching out the shackle pins and it appears there is to much pressure on them to budge.
Get after it and HIT it! I used a piece of #4 rebar and a 7 pound single jack.
What's wrong with punching the pin out of the clevis? Nothing is going to fly around and hit anything or anybody. I even suggested tying down the chain and cable, just in case. This is getting complicated. aua

Last edited: