• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost and EGT

Armada

Here is a pic of my turbo boost and EGT gage set-up. Thanks Bjorn for the tip on Hewitt. They were very helpful. I spent some time with them on the phone specing out gages and thermocouples to match the engine requirements, etc. This was a new application for them as well. They even sent 24v bulbs for the gage lights.
The exhaust manifold has a plenum that separates the front 3 cylinders and the back 3 cyls.
I decided to run two thermocouples so I could monitor any temp. discrepancies between the front and rear halves of the engine. That will help to narrow down a problem. They run even temps currently. I drilled and tapped the manifold when I was swapping to the C turbo, so no chips to worry about. The gage housing was a metal electrical box I fabbed up. I used exhaust clamps to attach it to the column. Very sturdy.
The 'left' EGT needle measures the rear cyl. temps, the 'right' needle, the front.
Average cruising temp varies from 700-750 deg. The highest I've had it has been about 1050-1100 lugging a load up a grade.
Boost will top out around 10-11 under heavy load, avarages 5.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!
I like the dual probe setup.
My "D" turbo produces about the same results, 13 psi maximum ever and 1,200F without much trouble going uphill with a load.
I noticed that you wrote "lugging" the engine, but I'm sure you didn't actually mean that. Never lug the old multifuel.

Great job, glad the Hewitt lead paid off.

Bjorn

Westech

CPL
I have my temp probe after the turbo and I see crusing temp of 800* and a load temp of 1050*. Now having said that you all have said the the temp on a probe befor turbo should not go over 1100* give or take. I have never had a problem, but I had to turn down my fuel pump after install. It was a military rebuild and all the safty wire was in place but spinning all 8 rear tires at a stop light is too much. I have also heard that temps can be higher after the turbo due to friction of the blades. Im no turbo nut I just play, so what is the deal?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my pyro-boost pod. It has been posted before, but just for comparison. BTW, I have an extra box if someone is interested, $25.00 shipping included. It's a Hoffman Engineering p/n A-833JNMCC.

Bjorn

Attachments

FSBruva

Westech-

The turbo works by converting the kinetic and thermic energy of the exhaust into the energy needed to compress the incoming air. So, the difference of temps pre and post turbo reflects the amount of energy being removed in the process of compressing the intake air.

Matt

Armada

Pappa-G,
Grease my hubs when I see you on Saturday and I'll give you one! :)
Adjust my brakes and I'll give you the transfercase boot too. :mrgreen:

(Soldier "B" with white shirt on standing in trailer, aka Pappa-G)

Attachments

DeneMoore

I've noticed my turbo keeps cutting out on my deuce while climbing hills. I'm assuming this is normal, and why you have installed your gauge, to monitor the boost.
It cuts out less if i lowered the speed of course. I'm hoping i don't have a leak.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice!
I like the dual probe setup.
My "D" turbo produces about the same results, 13 psi maximum ever and 1,200F without much trouble going uphill with a load.
I noticed that you wrote "lugging" the engine, but I'm sure you didn't actually mean that. Never lug the old multifuel.

Great job, glad the Hewitt lead paid off.

Bjorn

What RPM is considered lugging the engine? Say you are going up a hill and you are slowly slowing down. I have a Boost Gauge on my truck, no pyro yet. highest boost ive ever hit was 10psi, foot to the floor and 2300rpm. I dont like going over 2200 because im scared to throw a rod.