• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost and Pyro Gauges?

harleyrkc

Which gauges are you guys using? Has anyone found ones that match the duece? Is it possible to get them either as a combination gauge or both in a sinlge mount?

mudguppy

here is the thread i made on the Turbocator guage install in my truck - it is a combined EGT and boost guage that only needs power for illumination.

i actually just removed it and am wanting to sell it - $150 and it's yours, complete kit with mounting cup and instructions.

edit: this is the exact guage that Billy Bobbed just posted a pic of.

steelandcanvas

This is the one I want to get.
A nice choice, however you may want to think twice about the 0-30 boost scale. When I bought my Hewitt Boost gauge, I chose the 0-15 scale. With the max boost being somewhere around 6-8, you'll get more needle movement than on the 0-30 scale. Last time I chimed in on a thread about boost & pyro gauges, I got flamed for repeating what the manufacturer had told me.
Disclaimer: I am just offering a suggestion based on what I have experienced with my research and installation, your results may vary. :wink:

dittle

My turbo gauge is in the lower left. I got it from NAPA and wasn't very expensive (don't remember exact cost). It has a light but I didn't hook up 12V to it as I didn't want to hack in to any wiring harness. When I drove it at night I just had a flashlight if I wanted to see the gauge but didn't need to look at it going down the interstate.

Attachments

harleyrkc

Isspro pyro w/270* swing and 1200*F range (for post turbo probe). Like Steelandcanvas points out this will maximize needle sweep for better accuracy. Mount panel is an inexpensive Accel hotrod item, held on column with a U bolt. Very easy to see while driving.
What exactly is the swing? I was looking on several of the pyro manufacturer pages and noticed all the different swing rating but couldn't find any thing telling what the difference in swing is for.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Many electrical gauges work with a N/S magnetic pole system. Their needle(s) can only move thru 90* of rotation. This small amount of 'swing' makes the scale small. Other gauges can move thru 270 or 300* using almost all of the gauge face. Since the needle moves a longer distance it is easier to see small changes.

Here is my favorite gauge.

Attachments

dkeven

I wasnt concerned about matching the gauges so ordered auberons syl 1813 24 volt red egt display and inconel thermocouple, installed it pre turbo by drilling and tapping while running (no oil as cast drills and taps great dry) installed it a little rear of center to miss casting. Mine may have had fuel turned up although it is governed to 2950 rpm. Runs up to 945 or so no load on a long incline WOT struggling to maintain 55. Drops below 800 immediately on any flat or downhill, response is real quick. Gauge comes pre-set to 900 for alarm light bumped that to 1000. Mounted on steering column with bracket reworked from my motorcycle GPS mount of past. Price with shipping, of thermocouple, gauge, and square box it fits in was $119.99 inconel probe was advertised as good for 1100 C or 2000 Fahrenheit used in aircraft so no worries about turbo eating it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks