• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

booster pump assembly

kaiser2help

Has anyone ever taken apart their booster pump which is located on the side of the multi-fuel injector pump. The line from the primary filter goes directly into the pump directly through a plunger assembly. I fear before I have owned the truck someone incorrectly put the assembly together. I have tremendous fuel pressure right out of the tank. Just on the other side of the booster pump I have no pressure. I have a gauge installed in between the secondary filters and I am registering no pressure readings. I am positive that this releif assembly is probably put in wrong. And the TM'S show poor illustrations and not consistent pictures. If anyone has taken this apart before I need some guidance. Thanks.

kaiser2help

Here are some photo's from both the TM'S and Memphis Equipments manual for the LDS 465. Would anyone be able to elaborate on which is the correct way to assemble this pump. My engine is the LDS 465 1A. Thanks.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got the booster pump off the IP. Can you post pics of what you got so I can see what I need? It is a fairly small part, want this one?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted images of one I took apart (old forum).....
You should have 5 psi on the inlet and about 60 psi on the outlet side when engine is running, of course.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone ever taken apart their booster pump which is located on the side of the multi-fuel injector pump. The line from the primary filter goes directly into the pump directly through a plunger assembly. I fear before I have owned the truck someone incorrectly put the assembly together. I have tremendous fuel pressure right out of the tank. Just on the other side of the booster pump I have no pressure. I have a gauge installed in between the secondary filters and I am registering no pressure readings. I am positive that this releif assembly is probably put in wrong. And the TM'S show poor illustrations and not consistent pictures. If anyone has taken this apart before I need some guidance. Thanks.
Did you ever find what the answer was to this?

Figure I'll bump an existing thread versus starting a new one.

I have a deuce we got from Albany. Paperwork says it was running in 2008. Isn't now.

I have a ton of fuel going into the booster pump (volume and pressure-I swear it would fill up a 5 gallon bucket in a minute or so), practically nothing coming out. With the in-pump tank on, the booster output is literally a dribble and when turning the engine over, it isn't much better, but you can see the fuel "pulse" out of the hose as the booster pump turns.

Before I lift the engine and pull the booster out, has anyone encountered this and if so, what was the outcome?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm, I might have found my answer in another thread:

Hi Bill, welcome on board Sir! I'm glad you finally came to the right place... so we all can learn from you!!! Seriously folks, Bill has a lot of experience and done a lot of nice upgrades to his blue beauty!

There sure is a cure for the fuel supply issue. Just to give you ideas: my first Multifuel (a Tooele rebuild) is running for over 12 years now and from day one on never had the primary pump on the IP since the little gears were frozen inside the pump housing and the small driving shaft broke at the very first turn of the starter. All it has is a Bosch high pressure/high volume inline lift pump next to the tank. (Actually two identical pumps since it was converted to a double tank system to burn veggie oil)
Still running strong!

Good luck finding the plug! :)

Gerhard
From: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?21469-M35-engine-transmission-swap-amp-road-gear

I guess I am going to have to push this thing to where I can get the gantry crane on it to remove the booster.

Still like to hear other thoughts on it before doing this. A booster pump is a job to get out.

P1090337.jpgP1090338.jpgP1090341.jpgP1090343.jpgP1090345.jpgP1090346.jpgP1090347.jpgP1090348.jpgP1090349.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clint, when I first read your post it crossed my mind: broken input shaft, maybe... But I wouldn't say this is a common failure, at least never heard of such in all these years. It only happened to that particular engine because obviously it had never ever been turned over (not an eight of a turn) - after sitting in a can for 15 years or longer, after rebuild date. And it was clearly the sealer they had used, which looked like it had decomposed and caused that kind of corrosion between pump housing and gears.

You say the output is "pulsing" a bit when engine is running? So before all, can you not remove the pump cover alone and see/feel what the gears do?

G.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clint, when I first read your post it crossed my mind: broken input shaft, maybe... But I wouldn't say this is a common failure, at least never heard of such in all these years. It only happened to that particular engine because obviously it had never ever been turned over (not an eight of a turn) - after sitting in a can for 15 years or longer, after rebuild date. And it was clearly the sealer they had used, which looked like it had decomposed and caused that kind of corrosion between pump housing and gears.

You say the output is "pulsing" a bit when engine is running? So before all, can you not remove the pump cover alone and see/feel what the gears do?

G.
Well, this engine sat uncranked for 5+ years at a minimum but a broken shaft does seem like a stretch to me as well.

The output is pulsing when the engine is cranking-I haven't gotten it to fire obviously. But the pulsing may be as the starter loads and unloads the batteries, the electric pump voltage is fluctuating. The output from the booster pump is very minimal, both with the electric pump running and the starter cranking the engine over.

Without lifting the engine, I don't think I could get the BP out far enough to see the gear. The gear being all the way at the opposite end.

P1090344.jpg

These pictures are from a different truck - my personal truck was brewing it's own oil.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Isn't there an angled plate on the back side of the IP?

I thought if you pulled that, you could see the IP fuel pump gear?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks