• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boot install assistance

King

I had C&C surplus install new boots a while back, but 660 miles later when I arrived home in va the small inside clamp had come loose. How should I proceed? Zipped, unzipped, cleaned the grease off, still have not been able to hold the boot in place and tighten the clamp!image.jpgimage.jpg

dmetalmiki

Why they were ever designed like that beats me. Trucks large and small in varuious countries used and still use solid "ball" caps with seals. No problem. But these designers just had to re-design a unit that has funtioned well enough for years, which is fraut with problems and totaly inadequate. (through brush and scrub etc), not to mention the odd rock or two.
You will just have to struggle as best you can. I do them zipped up. And work on the side furthest from the zip. It does help to have someone assist though.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Will this help?
Boots are highly over rated and one
can not get the original anyhow.
The magic screw exists to allow the "extra" grease to come out.
You did all the PM's about greasing with GAA, I suppose.
I am sure you did read all the TM's about this job......................

IMG_5382.jpgIMG_5377.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5407.jpgIMG_5410.jpgIMG_5411.jpgIMG_5422.jpgIMG_5382.jpgIMG_5377.jpgIMG_5405.jpgIMG_5407.jpgIMG_5410.jpgIMG_5411.jpgIMG_5422.jpg

King

Well, I was able to get to boot on but the problem seems to continue. After my test drive the boot appears to have slipped off again. UGH!!!! I know that it was tight, at least as tight as I could get it! Any idea's what could be causing the boot to slip out?

Kaiser67M715

check your turn stop. it is possible you are overturning the limit of the boot, effectively pulling it off.

other then that, getting that clamp on in the groove is a little hard sometimes, I would think I had it, until it started to slip, normally starts from the bottom where the the groove is virtually non-existant

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
think of installing an O-ring, must be placed, not rolled, not forced into place. Clean the "seat" for the "o-ring spotless clean.
Soldier B and soldier C is the clamps. see the pictures.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

The groove for the boot/clamp has to absolutely positively be clean for the boot to stay put. Spray brake cleaner on a blue shop towel and wipe the entire groove. Any little bit of grease will not be your friend here. Take your time so you don't have to do it again. I prefer the silicone boots to the zippered type.

Sorry for the disc brake picture of my bobber to throw you off, but this is a clean reassembly. Took my time though. I wasn't stuck on the side of the road or at night. Took a full weekend for disc brakes, new bearings/seals/boots, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has been stated a couple of times on this thread, the boots and groves must be free of oil and grease. Also if I'm using boots with zippers, I find the boots with gold zippers tend to fit better and have better clamps. Also as you tighten the clamps take your time to check and make sure the clamp does not roll off the boot.

rustystud

Yes the grooves must be totally cleaned out. I use a small screwdriver to "dig" out any dirt trapped in the groove and then use a small wire brush to really go after it.