• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boredom project, LB7 dirtymax turbo on a 6.2

Superhondaz50

Finished the intercooler piping. Started it for the first time, have a few problems. So it doesn't appear to be making any boost. If I had the fathom, my turbo master spring is too weak. Also the engine is idling rough, and when gassing it it will hold a rev for a few seconds. Other problems, the Chinese oil feed leaks like crazy, so I need to get an American one, and my oil pan didn't seal well and is leaking nears the trans, good times!

Attachments

Superhondaz50

Added a 2nd spring to the turbo master, got the turbo oil feed leak fixed. Drove it, made about 5psi of boost, I think I need to lock out the wastegate, I don't think this engine will ever have enough juice to make enough boost to need a wastegate. Had to stop driving though, the rubber rear seal on the oil pan is leaking horribly, all onto the flywheel, pipe, etc, flinging it everywhere and smoking like mad. Prob do it in a few weeks, working under the truck in triple digit weather is getting old quick!

Superhondaz50

Well, went out again, kept it in the dirt so I don't leak oil everywhere, just not building boost, even with the wastegate locked out. I'm thinking this 6.7 turbo is too big for the old tired 6.2

MattNC

Well, went out again, kept it in the dirt so I don't leak oil everywhere, just not building boost, even with the wastegate locked out. I'm thinking this 6.7 turbo is too big for the old tired 6.2
Is the turbo setup you have pulling exhaust from both sides or just one? Do you know the same question for the 6.7? From simple engineering I would think if the answer is the same for both the 6.2 would spit out 92% (6.2/6.7) of the exhaust volume of the 6.7 at a given rpm and therefore should be spinning the turbo decently well. Line losses could explain some differences but your plumbing looked pretty unrestricted. Any exhaust leaks pre turbo or intake leaks post turbo?

Superhondaz50

Is the turbo setup you have pulling exhaust from both sides or just one? Do you know the same question for the 6.7? From simple engineering I would think if the answer is the same for both the 6.2 would spit out 92% (6.2/6.7) of the exhaust volume of the 6.7 at a given rpm and therefore should be spinning the turbo decently well. Line losses could explain some differences but your plumbing looked pretty unrestricted. Any exhaust leaks pre turbo or intake leaks post turbo?
So I have it setup like the d-max, each header has one up-pipe,each up-pipe goes to it's respective exhaust hookup on the turbo. Only difference is my driver side up-pipe goes under the truck then up to the turbo, it's longer than the d-max. I don't see any leaks around my gaskets. The plumbing is very unrestrictive, the exhaust just has the downpipe right now, no rear pipe or muffler. I think I need to check the intake side for boost leak. Just seems odd, it's spooling at idle, but not spooling up during driving or building boost.

Superhondaz50

I'm also wondering my oil leak is from the rear main seal. I have a hunch the CDR is clogged and the turbo caused excess crank pressure somehow and blew that seal out. That'd explain why the oil is all over the flex plate.

Superhondaz50

Ok, learned something new. I guess when adding a turbo the CDR needs re-routing to the airbox, pre-turbo. So, I didn't do that, the turbo pressurized the case, and popped the rear main. Guess it's time to order some parts.

Superhondaz50

Gonna add a note, so the CDR connects in two places, to the intake mani, and to the oil fill tube. This is fine in a NA setup as the Mani is pulling a vacuum on the CDR. With a turbo, the intake is pressurized, so with the CDR installed, the pressure shoots right into the CDR and into the oil fill tube and case, kinda turns itself into a wastegate. So to make it work, you need to disconnect it from the intake mani, plug the Mani, then hook the disconnected part into the piping BETWEEN the air filter and turbo inlet, this will keep a vacuum on it, and allow your case to vent, without blowing seals from your boost.

And another snippet, some CDR valves are water fording ones, so they have two extra barbs for that. Mine is this type, I will be using a new standard CDR and plugging the fording lines, no water in the desert to ford anyways haha

Superhondaz50

Well, got the new CDR in, got it rerouted, oil leak fixed. Took it out, still not building boost, I can get like 4psi flooring it, super sluggish, not much faster than stock. I might chock this up to a failed experiment. I'll prob put it back to stock in the fall, triple digits are way too hot to work in...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got the new CDR in, got it rerouted, oil leak fixed. Took it out, still not building boost, I can get like 4psi flooring it, super sluggish, not much faster than stock. I might chock this up to a failed experiment. I'll prob put it back to stock in the fall, triple digits are way too hot to work in...
Your cartridge might be mismatched. Try a smaller unit.

Superhondaz50

My wife says I need to finish this project since I started it, so here goes. Finished welding the new exhaust, 3" straight with a dynomax bullet resonator. Added in my boost and egt gauges,wired them up to a Pyle 12v step down. If anyone uses this step down down forget to add a switch, otherwise it'll be on 24/7. Took it out again, with the Bosch gauge it's boosting a solid 5psi at least.

Attachments

Last edited:

MattNC

Cool project! If my wife came out and policed the completion of projects I would be in serious trouble! Some projects have conveniently been hidden from view!

Superhondaz50

Cool project! If my wife came out and policed the completion of projects I would be in serious trouble! Some projects have conveniently been hidden from view!
Haha, ya, my wife hates having all my buckets sitting in her parking spot on the driveway haha looking at getting a wrecked Charger next week, she knows about it but isn't too excited

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks