• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bosch 80034 (Duratherm ?) Resistance in Ohms

Bighorn

You can bypass the resistor for glow plug power but leave the rest as is too.
I actually went all the way because;
1. The positive terminals of my batteries (actually front positive rear battery negative) were hitting my hood on articulation.
This was because of the battery relocation the p.o. did.
By converting to 12 v 2 batt in parallel i have both positives safely away from the hood.
2. I am never going to jump start a tank.

I actually suffered a cascade gp failure and that is why i swapped the gp system power to the 12 volts.

LastFbody

Don't think I'll ever go full 12v. I love how powerful the 24v starter is. Most of the time it starts the engine almost instantly with how fast it spins.

From what I've read in other threads the only downsides to bypassing to straight 12v for just the plugs is it draws kinda heavy on the front battery, and it can't be started externally with the slave port, which I can't ever imagine that being something I'd have to do.

Bighorn

12 volt starter turns the motor over at the same speed as my 24 volt starter.

Yes, if you pull from the front battery for gp power, it is a good idea to swap batteries front to rear occasionally for longest battery life.
My other reason for full conversion;

3. Both batteries are equalized.
Pulling winch power etc from both.
No imbalance.

Ilikemtb999

I just took some of these out and swapped to the 60's. They've been in there for 6 years or so and weren't up to the task anymore. I haven't tested them yet but I can say my truck starts like it should again. Also had zero swelling.

LastFbody

I just took some of these out and swapped to the 60's. They've been in there for 6 years or so and weren't up to the task anymore. I haven't tested them yet but I can say my truck starts like it should again. Also had zero swelling.
That's awesome to know! Don't want to fight with them when it comes time for replacing again. I was terrified that I had glow plugs that were gonna be hardcore stuck in the motor when I started this process. 13gs are supposedly self limiting, but mine were still kind of swollen, enough that they needed pliers and a little wiggling to remove.

Here's what was left of my old plugs:
20180323_135641.jpg

Seems like they failed more due to bad connections than anything. Motor oil from my old cdr leaked into a couple of the connectors too, probably didn't help.

Last edited:

Chaski

Pulled out my Bosch glow plugs today (less than 6000 miles on them), 7 were still working.
One decided to break apart and take out an injector... The tip is probably in my muffler.
I swapped the injector with a good one I had and put in my spare glow plug until the new ones show up.

I just ordered up some 60G’s

E09232DC-A0CF-4814-A552-21E29F240C33.jpg

Chaski

How often do you guys swap out glow plugs? Do you just wait till the truck doesn't start?

For me...
In 12,000 miles I replaced the ones that the rig had when I bought it with some Wellmans, ran those for about 6,000 miles. They didn’t fail, but after spending some time on the forum and reading about the Wellman Swellman reputation I swapped in the Bosch glow plugs.

I replace them all when I notice one has failed.

Hopefilly the 60G’s last more than two oil changes...

LastFbody

Pulled out my Bosch glow plugs today (less than 6000 miles on them), 7 were still working.
One decided to break apart and take out an injector... The tip is probably in my muffler.
I swapped the injector with a good one I had and put in my spare glow plug until the new ones show up.

I just ordered up some 60G’s

View attachment 723789
Wow that's kind of shocking. Did it break off during removal due to swelling or just all on it's own?