• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a 1992 M998

Sintorion

My god dude! Have you ever heard of !!!capitalism!!! This is AMERICA!
If he wants to spend money on a Hmmwv from a company that buys them and does the waiting and the work to them, advertises and makes a decent product. I don't have any problem with a company making money or someone buying a machine that makes them happy! Crappy thing to even post IMHO...

Hope your Plan B Hmmwv is a good truck and you enjoy it, that's all that matters! Don't let anyone rain on your parade.
Lighten up Francis. Did you not read my first sentence? I have never bought nor do I know anything about Plan B except what I have seen on their website. I do know money and know material and labor costs. That is why I said that it will be interesting to hear from someone who has actual first hand knowledge with their product. Maybe I am missing something, maybe not.

Bravojmc

Lighten up Francis. Did you not read my first sentence? I have never bought nor do I know anything about Plan B except what I have seen on their website. I do know money and know material and labor costs. That is why I said that it will be interesting to hear from someone who has actual first hand knowledge with their product. Maybe I am missing something, maybe not.
First off names not Francis. Second I did read your first sentence, Then I choked down the rest of garbage that came after it! You sir are the one that needs to "lighten up"..... No need to insult someone in a round about way on their new purchase, just because YOU won't put that kind of money down. Nice truck and let us know about your trip
and experience when you get back.

2w091

That's a arse busting trip in a HMMWV, hopefully you have some nice bucket seats, if not, I'd get a Walmart cushion and some Preparation H.........................;)

JAGWAH

That truck looks sweet! Congrats and welcome from San Diego!

As others have mentioned, the challenge is, these things are not great for long travel. You'll be fine. I would just keep it at 55, and not push it too hard. You may want to stop to get some supplies after you get her. Some recommendations:

- Some sort of cup holder to hold your drinks.
- Warm clothes.
- Lock to leverage the built-in cable lock on the steering wheel.
- Diesel additive and use at each fill up.
- Insurance (I was able to add mine to my State Farm policy over the phone, as long as I sent my agent a picture).
- Small battery powered LED light, that you can clip to the top bar (a square flat one). This will give you light in the cab when it's dark.
- Some small towels you can use to clean the windows or deal with the water that *will* get in.
- You may want ear protection, as the loudness is tough after awhile.

And word to wise, you do not want to run the fuel tank empty. And many have stated on here to not trust the gauges. So, be diligent to refuel often.

Good luck and share some more pictures and stories of how it went!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome looking truck, and deepest darkest black.... Just like my cold heart.

That looks like one terrific ride!

T

jeffy777

I thought about buying from PlanB too. I don't know if I made the right decision. I took a chance on buying one from PlanetGov. I am so far away from PlanB and I don't have enough time to go back to them for anything I might want warranty replaced. I figured I would do it or have it done myself. I also did not want to finish off my HMMWV. I wanted one war torn and ugly. I think I did good. I plan on keeping mine stock. But who knows... I can change my mind.

I like the looks of PlanB's HMMWV's. I think they do good work from all I can tell. I like the guys on their videos.

Good luck ... You pictures show it looks cool.

WalterMitty

I almost went with Plan B, since I don't have the time, place, tools or skills to buy cheap and then repair and paint. But, I went another seller, and have a bit of buyers remorse. So far it's been an awesome warm weather vehicle, but as soon as it's cold, she just won't start. The WTS light has never really worked consistently. I've replaced the Control Module, TSU, Glow Plugs (twice), installed the Grounding harness, and I'm currently in the middle of my 3rd starter repair/rebuild.

Bravojmc

You could buy one at GP cheap but you may have to spend a lot more to make it right after the fact. Not saying you will but it could have issues. With plan b yes you are spending more money but you do have a form of warrenty to fall back on. Again I bought from GP and I also could and will have issues to deal with.

Last edited:

jake-cutter

Ignore most here and enjoy the HMMWV and your trip. I am interested to see your after action report and if there are any tips/pointers/problems you have when done. Take plenty of pics.

dmetalmiki

Nice looking truck. Good luck with your (looong!) journey. As mentioned previously..Slow AND Steady. Remember, A steady and constant speed get's the mileage done without stress, (and without (quite so much noise)) for you, and the vehicle. Nice workshop by the way.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After considering the length of that drive I was going to offer my services as an orthopedic surgeon, however on further consideration I realized that you will probably require a proctologist instead.:lol:

Please take lots of pictures, and please consider posting daily so we can feel like we are there instead of stuck at work. Sounds to me like a fun adventure.

Best,

T

jake-cutter

Since you are posting, that means you made it home and are alive. That's the first good sign. I hope everything went fine and am looking forward to reading your report (might want to break it into a few posts so it all goes through)

Mando82

Hey guys idk how to use this site, I just bought an m998 humvee and I was wondering if anybody could help me obtain a title for it. I live in PA, and I only received a bill of sale. The problem is for me to be able to put a plate on it and use it on the road I need a title. Any information would be greatly appricated

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks