• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a CUCV M1010 !

Drunkle Scuzzy

Excellent work done by the mechanic, Peng, at P&K Auto in San Francisco. I'll be driving to the Russian river to go camping tomorrow for a little road test. Feels like a new old truck!

Drunkle Scuzzy

Here's a pic of the Rogue Sea Witch at our camping spot from this weekend on the Russian River. We didn't do anything too crazy, as we're still working out the bugs in the truck. Hopefully soon we'll get more off the beaten path and do some off road trips. We have now put our first 1,000 miles on the truck.

I am going to have the power steering, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends etc. replaced before driving it to Seattle later in the month. Visual inspection shows the rubber is trashed on all.

Attachments

Last edited:

2deuce

Looks good in the bushes! That is what I want to do, actually get off road. If possible go where you can make your own trails, not just dirt roads.

I would like to see more pictures of CUCV's camping.

Thanks

Drunkle Scuzzy

Transfer case slipping out of 2wd

The transfer case is still slipping out of 2wd. I haven't done anything with it, other than just get it back into gear and keep driving. I think maybe its the shift fork... Wish I were a more confident mechanic, I don't feel like it will go very well if I try and fix this myself.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Had a lot of work done on the truck since the last time I've posted. Dando's Automotive, as per Tim's excellent recommendation, has done outstanding and meticulous work.

-Steering box brace welded in.

P1120995.jpg

-Speedometer gear switched to a 38 tooth so the speedo reads correctly.

P1120991.jpg

-Switched the instrument cluster to a used OEM instrument cluster from a deisel suburban with Gauges instead of dummy lights. Now has Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and 12 volt voltage meter gauges. and a functioning analog clock which is never accurate because when I park it the kill switch shuts it off. Had to have the Oil pressure and water temp sending units switched out, along with some additional oem circuitry and rewiring to make the instrument cluster function completely.

P1120978.jpg

-Transfer case full overhaul. It was trashed inside.

P1120986.jpg

-Removed the heavy radio mount and had the transfer case shifter switched with the civilian straight shifter.

P1120975.jpg

-New Aluminum core radiator.

P1120998.jpg

P1120989.jpg

-New parking brake and cable, along with some extra work to make it function. Looks like when the truck was re geared to 3.73, they swapped the entire axles with corporate 10 bolt front and Corporate 14 Bolt rear.... but from a '82-'83 instead of an '84-'87 truck. The entire parking brake system was missing, except one metal bracket I found in the back of the truck. Had to have the correct year backing plates on the drum brake switched out so it would function.

P1120984.jpg

P1120972.jpg P1120971.jpg P1120973.jpg

-New brakes, cables, shoes.

-New belts.

-New front crankshaft seal installed.

-New axle seals.

Now its time to do the head gasket and the restoration is more or less complete. when the radiator was replaced i found out that there is cavitation, the head gasket is leaking compressed air into the cooling system and over pressurizing it, causing the coolant to over flow and drain out the overflow reservoir at an alarming rate. Approximately a half gallon in a few miles.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Been there with the head gasket issue. I ran mine for 5 - 6 years with that over pressurizing issue. When it started steaming out the left side exhaust I knew it was time to fix it or ruin it. I pulled the engine and had the heads overhauled and replaced all the gaskets and seals on the engine. It runs like a new one again. When I had it apart I had the transmission and transfer case rebuilt. It sounds like you are over half way there. It only costs a couple dollars more to do the job right. Must cheaper then doing it the second time when something else fails. But do have the heads checked at a machine shop and do replace both head gaskets while you are at it. You will be happy with the end results. Now is the time to correct the issues. later is always to late. :)

Drunkle Scuzzy

heartbroken

I just found out the front axle was replaced by the previous owner with a corporate ten bolt. This is terrible. He lied about it, and the axles were his biggest selling point for getting his asking price. I am extremely upset right now that i didn't know the difference myself.IMG_20160129_002300.jpg

IMG_20160129_002340.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

The previous owner may have been clueless about the axles. I sold one to a guy that wanted rid of the 456 gears and brought me a set of 1/2 ton rears to replace the one ton axles and gave me the old axles and $500. to change them. I was not arguing. He said the garage he took it to wanted $1500. to change the gears only. And he said 15 " tires were cheaper anyway. No problem. 1 weekend and it was changed out. It was an M1028 to boot. He is still driving the truck and thinks its great. Who am I to disagree?

Drunkle Scuzzy

Yeah, certainly not a 60F. I'd have a word with that joker.
I'm in the middle of discussing it with him via text message. I no longer have copies of our original discussion. He claims to have let me know the axles were from a 3/4 ton and had been replaced. I feel like I remember him saying that they were the original axles desired by rock crawlers.

Drunkle Scuzzy

The previous owner may have been clueless about the axles. I sold one to a guy that wanted rid of the 456 gears and brought me a set of 1/2 ton rears to replace the one ton axles and gave me the old axles and $500. to change them. I was not arguing. He said the garage he took it to wanted $1500. to change the gears only. And he said 15 " tires were cheaper anyway. No problem. 1 weekend and it was changed out. It was an M1028 to boot. He is still driving the truck and thinks its great. Who am I to disagree?
He definitely knew about it, and I wish I had a better memory and our original emails to prove what was said for my peace of mind.

cucvrus

the original axles desired by rock crawlers. He was right. The original axles are desired by rock crawlers. And I sold them to a rock crawler. You will be good to go with what you have. That M1010 will work out well for you with your intended use as a camper. It has been a long time since you bought that and it will be hard for you to do anything about it at this point in time. Best just use it for what it is and be happy. Not worth the stress. You got a good deal at the price you posted. With the original axles it would have been worth a bit more on the market. the axles are worth about $1500 - $2000. Live and learn it will not happen to you again. I am sure of that.

stevoMT

Sorry to hear about your axle problems. I've had to learn lessons the hard and expensive way myself. I bought a 4l80e transmission that was going to eventually go into my truck. I didn't know enough about them and happened to be stopping by a transmission shop and the guy pointed out to me how I was missing all of the key components like the solenoid wiring harness. It was only $400 but still. It wouldn't be a big deal to get one from a junkyard, but a fellow tinkerer and vehicle enthusiast should be straight forward with one another.

If you have a place to store them you might be able to find another set of axles and take your time to rebuild them to what you want. Lockers or limited slip etc. If you don't have a place to do the axle work you might be able to find someone on one of these forums with an axle they want to sell/trade. You never know!

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!dana-front-44s-60s-more-axles/c1c1w

I bought a set of H1 wheels from these guys in Utah. They gave me a short tour of the place through. They had more axles then I'd ever seen, but I'm sure there is someone in Cali that can also find a set of axles.

Drunkle Scuzzy

I'm hoping I'll find someone on here who doesn't care abut the one tons as much as having highway gears, and I would be able to trade my axles and give them some cash to make up the difference in value. I think I'm going to post to classifieds and see what happens. Thanks for the link, I follow Boyce Equipment on Instagram, lots of cool photos of rigs and what not. I'm thinking of taking the truck on a car hauler to 'Those Militarty Guys' in Rancho Cucamonga Cali for my Head gasket, and maybe axle swap if I don't find a trade situation. ...

Sorry to hear about your axle problems. I've had to learn lessons the hard and expensive way myself. I bought a 4l80e transmission that was going to eventually go into my truck. I didn't know enough about them and happened to be stopping by a transmission shop and the guy pointed out to me how I was missing all of the key components like the solenoid wiring harness. It was only $400 but still. It wouldn't be a big deal to get one from a junkyard, but a fellow tinkerer and vehicle enthusiast should be straight forward with one another.

If you have a place to store them you might be able to find another set of axles and take your time to rebuild them to what you want. Lockers or limited slip etc. If you don't have a place to do the axle work you might be able to find someone on one of these forums with an axle they want to sell/trade. You never know!

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!dana-front-44s-60s-more-axles/c1c1w

I bought a set of H1 wheels from these guys in Utah. They gave me a short tour of the place through. They had more axles then I'd ever seen, but I'm sure there is someone in Cali that can also find a set of axles.

Drunkle Scuzzy

Problem loading photos (solved!)

I originally saved the jpg files way too large, so only a small portion of the photos would load (i guess only the ones that were small enough files), I still had a bunch of shots of the new work that has been done on the truck that I couldn't get the forum's uploader to accept. I tried to upload them many times, it showed the progress of loading, but then wouldn't load the image to either this thread or my photo album. I then re exported the jpg files way smaller and they loaded both to the post I was editing on the previous page of this thread, and to the photo album in my profile with all the photos of the Rogue Sea Witch. Thought I would leave this post in case it helps anyone else with photo problems..

Last edited:

tim292stro

10 at a time max and file size/resolution seems to matter. No larger than 64kB and no larger than 1024x768. You can load something larger than that once but ti seems to chew up the site. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks