• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a Cummins for my m1008

91W350

If you keep the Getrag, you can improve its reliability and longevity by taking the shifter off and overfilling the transmission by about a pint. The angle that Dodge installed the Getrag at caused it to starve the front bearings when filled to the fill plug level.

Later,
Joe
You can also overfill it through one of the upper power take off bolt holes. That is where I top off or refill mine at. Glen

niferous

I am looking at some 1990 Dodge Ram aircraft hauler trucks with 5.9 liter Cummins Diesel motors in them. Some are very low miles. One of them with only 16k miles on the clock. I will let everyone know if I wind up winning one. I like the idea of putting an old 12 valve Cummins into my M1009! The only problem with the trucks is they have auto transmissions which I just don't like behind the Cummins 5.9. That's ok though as I can probably find an NV4500 for cheap.

91W350

The 1990 would be easier as it is not innercooled. As low as the M1009 is geared, I doubt exhaust gas temperatures would ever be an issue anyway. Those aircraft tugs are kind of cool. One thing is for sure, it will not have been over worked. They had super low gears in those things.

nap159

my brother and i just put a 12 valve cummins in a ford 550...no easy job. definately not for the faint of heart. took about a month of working on it after work!

12vctd

cummins swaps into chevys are not hard at all, they are expensive if not planned properly. And it all depends on your area and parts available. The biggest problem i have seen ppl have with cummings swaps is simply moving the heavy beast. Cant put it on a regular engine stand, and some of the 2 ton engine lift thou they will pick up 2 tons they cant with much reach. If money isnt a issue there are kits that supply just about everything for a pretty painless swap. there atleast 4 companys selling engine mounts, theres tons of trans adapters out there and painless performance makes a complete wiring harness that jst has 4 wires to be connected. The thing I alway look at in finding donor vehicles is does it have the parts I need and how many parts will I have to out source. For instance, my last swap was a 93 6bt into a 2500 suburban 4x4, well I found a wrecked 93 w250 4x4 with the auto i wanted, I was able to use the motor trans transfer case, the axles intercooler even the driveshafts were used (after i resized the rear the front was the right length). And the suburban was a diesel so I was able to re use the fuel tank. The total swap including completely rebuilding the motor trans transfer case and axles took me 2 months, mainly due to rebuild times. if I didnt choose to rebuild everything I would have had a bottom line cost of 1200 for the parts truck and 2156.89 for remaining parts to complete the swap. But I added a significant total to the listy because I decided to totally rebuild the drivetrain and upgrade alot, since i was also swapping a P7100 injection pump I also had to upgrade my turbo(well twins) injectors, fire rings, camshaft, the list goes on. But I still completed my entire swap including paint and body work for 11789.28. I know alot of people probably reading are thinking im nuts but I have 12k in a truck thats not out there its completely new I know every nut and bolt, and its purpose is to haul my family (6 kids) and my travel trailer. So I am happy, the truck pulls better than the excursion it replaced, gets way better fuel economy, and most of all the swap was a lot of fun. I would be willing to help anyone looking for a cummins swap, or any other ?'s related to them.