• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a Deuce but engine will not start.

Heavysteven

I think you need to stop, take a breath, and start at the fuel tank.

1. Drain the tank
2. Pull the fuel pump inspect the screen, hose, and fuse.
3. Change the fuels filters all three
4. Fill the system with new fuel 5 gallons
5. Bleed the filters
You need to inspect the fuel while working toward the injector pump. Fix or replace
Once complete you have fuel to the pump. If not go back and start again
4. Check the stop cable in the pump
5. Check the plunger

Your batteries need to be at a full charge to complete this work. Not weak or old.

I dont see the piont of ever using starting fluid. I mean if you need starting fluid thing you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
I have done most of these but just today found this filter. On the cutoff lever, it's at the 6:00 and not the 7:00. Where should it be? I'm not sure what the "plunger" is and I may be missing something. If you can let me know I'll do it. I have done 1-5 and it seems it's trying to pump some fuel, at least some bubbles from the cracked injector line, but then again that is about where I run out of battery power. I have a filter on the way but I "think" there should be a spring provided the right filter is sent. I agree with the starting fluid, if it don't start on it's own, then something is wrong. We'll get-er going.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
right, no return filter, if you mean the filters on the side of the engine, if they are as dirty as the really nasty one you show, clean everything good and with new filters bleed it and see. if the secondary and final filters let any of that stuff be you probably will need a HH replacement.

Well they were pretty darn dirty. I could not blow through one, the other one seemed pretty open. I "think" the HH was protected from debris, or I hope it was. I'll try again in a couple hours to start it again.

Thanks, ran out of time today but I hope to give it try in the AM. Blew all the fuel lines out and they seemed clean and checked the fuel shut off valve once again. I am almost sure it's right now unless the HH is done. The wedge sounds like it's in the grove and the linkage moves freely. Still will not move to the 7:00 position and 6 oclock is about the best it will do. I don't have all the primary filter stuff like the spring and such and am wondering if it will hurt to run without it for a short time. The secondary filters are new.

Today I tried to start it with no good results. New fully charged batteries, replaced the primary filter, bled all the air, and she still not run. I plan to try again tomorrow cracking the lines and adding some air pressure to the tank. I'm just about ready to say the HH is history and call in the dogs (buy a new one). Anything else I can try before throwing in the towel? fat lady sings

Atomic

Buddy don't throw in the towel. While problems such as these are a gigantic headache, it will only enrich the ownership of the truck. You're learning and "when" you get this solved, your ownership will be a much more rewarding time. Think about it. When that truck fires up for the first time and you blast off down the road you will be a grin'in from ear to ear.The next thing to go wrong, and lets not kid ourselves it will, you can attack that with the same gusto as this fuel problem. Keep the faith and keep posting, you will lick this problem!!

Atomic

Thanks, I've always been too "hard headed" to give up that easy. Today I decided to remove the 12 point nut that is on the side of the HH and check it. It was a little resistant to movement but I was able to remove it with a magnet once I cleaned it with carb cleaner and wiggle'ed it a bit. It's now free and clean. I then removed the center bolt in the HH and proceeded to clean it. Here is where I noticed a potienntial problem. I started using the carb cleaner with the little straw and I noticed that it appeared to be filling up a major void in the HH. It eventually filled and now when I spray cleaner it immediately shoots back and its full. At first I stopped a time or two to watch the cleaner sink into the small hole. Now, have I found a problem and does this suggest an area where another problem may lie. It seems that this should be full of diesel and no void should exist. Is there a blockage to the chamber that was empty and where or what do I look for next. I think I may be onto something, I just hope it's not bad.

Update, I have no fuel from the center bolt hole in the HH. The electric pump is working and there is a small geiser from the bleeder on the secondary filters (2 inches or so). Again it seemed that the space under the center HH blot hole held an once or two of cleaner, shouldn't this be full of fuel? If so, is there a blockage from the filters to the HH and where and how do I find/fix it?

Blendmaster2002

Like heath said the button may have fell off the bottom of the head unit, I will go off memory here did this over a year ago so here goes, but before I would check the button when you took off the side 12 point bolt and used the magnet did you just get the spring or the spring and pointed metering pin if not you must start there it must be free I used a fine long set of needle nose pliers as its hollow on the back side that the spring goes in and pulled it out, cleaned it with cleaner and reinstalled with light weight oil so it would stay free. Then you can take the top bolt off the HH and check to see with a wood dowel if it moves up and down, but this can Lie as mine did move but the button was off same symptoms you have, this led me to believe my hh was done fore. I got a complete Good running injector pump, But when I tore the one down on the truck all that had happened is the button had fell off ,and by me cranking trying to start it I ruined the clip that held on the button and put little scratches in the button. So after cleaning up the button and using the clip off the other pump hh and reassembly she ran top notch! To check you will need to remove all the injector lines label them, they only go one way but it still good to do, then you need to bring timing to a certain spot if I remember correctly to take off the hh then four blots and clamps that hold the hh on and then on the bottom of the hh will be a clip and button or not if it’s the problem hope this helps. I used the TMs, search and read many threads when I did mine. Somewhere on here someone posted the ambac field HH replacement instructions.

Thanks guys, I've been absorbing as much material as I can find. It's been raining here today and I've been in and out but here is what I've found out. I took off the plug in the center of the HH and there is no vertical movement in the plunger and it was stuck in the up position. I took a 1/4" driver and gently tapped it back down. When I turn the switch on I get fuel out the top. Now when I turn it over it still hangs in the up position and I am guessing it should return to the down position. It appears there is no spring to push it back down when the cam (I guess) raises it. It also has some slight resistance when I push it back down. It seems that it may have loosened up a little and I have turned it over and pushed it back down about 5 times. Now the questions are, should this go back down on its own? Do I need to continue to try to free it? Do I need to remove the HH and go thru it? Is the button still on or is this a sure sign that it's off? At least I feel I'm making progress and hope to get her to fire soon.

On edit: Is the button what suppose to pull the plunger back down and is that's what's off? I have looked over the available diagrams and the images are so blurred that I can't make things out. If there's one that is clear it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just guessing you button is still on but the plunger might be sticking from the water that is in deisel fuel and has sat to long. you might be able to free it up and just hope no pitting has happened to the plunger. Use wood dowle pb blaster you keep pressure on the plunger while helper cranks the truck.

Last edited:
This evening I removed the HH and this is what I found. Not sure what the round thing is but I'm guessing there should be more to it. It appears that it has slipped and got wollered a bit. I assume this is what goes under the shaft in the assembly and the hole in it and slots are for oil. Now how do I check the rest of the pump. It also seems that the internals are a little dirty judging by the fuel that came out. Suggestions please?

Attachments

And after taking out the plunger here is another problem. I can see where the modern fuels come up short on lubricates and I feel this could have helped do this. Course with the condition I found the filters in dirty fuel may have added to it. Where can I get the broken parts and is the bottom of the plunger too far gone? Will a new plunger work with this housing or are they "mated" as a single unit? What would you guys do?

Attachments

Blendmaster2002

Ok, from the photos it looks like you need at minimum a new button and retaining clip, that little bit is whats left of the button and the clips gone those little pieces in your photo may be whats left of the clip. This photo is from the thread linked above, you can see the clip and the button, button its facing down in the photo and yours is up, yours no longer has the edge that the clip uses to retain it. Check out this thread tittled: Need Part: IP Pump Hydraulic Head Ring Clip needed to hold button on rod.

Attachments